Build

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would be most grateful if you could please post your views and commments on the below parts and just conform that they are all fine and work with one and other I think they are but I just wanted to check first.

Thanks,

Wiz

Case

Ram

CPU

Board

PSU

GFX

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's all good :thumb:

A rather expensive but rather good system.

If I were spending that kind of money and I were a gamer, I'd spend another ninety quid on the grafix and get a 9800 GTX.

Just my POV :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It's all good :thumb:

A rather expensive but rather good system.

If I were spending that kind of money and I were a gamer, I'd spend another ninety quid on the grafix and get a 9800 GTX.

Just my POV :)

Hi,

Flopps,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there much diffrence in the 8800GT and the 9800 GTX I have been reading on a few websites they there is not much diffrence in them, I was wondering what you think as you have the 9800 GTX?

Regards,

Wiz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To be honest, probably not, just a case of future proofing, really.

And maybe setting everything to max on Assassin's Creed ;)

We won't even mention Crysis cos that game is just plain silly, imo ;)

The 8800GT will very likely do you fine but as I said, unless you got a strict budget, within a system priced that high, I'd go 9800.

Reaction score
Hello Both,

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for the information on the GFX and new CPUS if I wait then untill the new CPU comes out the quad core that I listed before will be cheaper then? Also I was wondering if you would be able to let me know if I would be able to use. this GFX card? With the motherboard listed above.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes you could.

But why go with two year old technology if you're building new?

At the very least go for an 8800GT and do a good system proud.

Hello Flopps,

Thanks for your reply.

I do take your point however, I'm building it for a freind and he wants to see how the system runs frist with the old GFX card first and then see if we need to up-grade GFX card I would had thought that we need to as everything else is new and the GFX card is 2years old.

Also the PSU goes in the bottom of the case right? with the fan pointing upwards?

Thanks,

Wiz

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I dunno about that case, but on most it goes in the top left as you look at it through the window.

You should be able to tell from the screw holes on the back of the case as 3 are in the corners and the fourth is a little bit further in.

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply. I would had thought that it would go in top corner but I will check.

Thanks again,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Was just reading the spec on that case, upto 5x 120mm fans and 1x 200mm fan, crazy, you'll go and visit your mate and either find that he's frozen to death, or just his legs sticking out the case.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Was just reading the spec on that case, upto 5x 120mm fans and 1x 200mm fan, crazy, you'll go and visit your mate and either find that he's frozen to death, or just his legs sticking out the case.

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

I take it its not worth using paste to keep CPU cool with that coolling system?

Wiz

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Oh you still wanna use a bit of paste, as its main job is to keep a clean contact between the CPU and Heatsink, so no air bubbles are in there and heat up.

There will be a block of paste on the bottom of the heatsink already but put a small amount on the CPU and smooth it over with your finger.

Make sure its evenly spread though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

I take it its not worth using paste to keep CPU cool with that coolling system?

Wiz

Dangerous! You always use thermal paste between CPU and heatsink.

Waynos_Face said:
There will be a block of paste on the bottom of the heatsink already but put a small amount on the CPU and smooth it over with your finger.

No. Never with your finger. Body oils will transfer and contaminate the paste and therefore impede the heat transfer.

Both surfaces should be cleaned prior to fitting with either isopropyl alcohol (available from pharmacists for about a fiver for 500ml) or methylated spirits.

Then use an old credit card, cut into pieces if need be, to evenly spread the paste.

Arctic Silver is generally reckoned to be about the best paste. And it's also hard to wash off your fingers...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just a quick addition - these Intel Quad CPU's use a slightly different method of paste application to the old 'blob and spread' method - you use a thin line across the CPU, fit the cooler without spreading, and give a couple of small twists.

Instructions from Arctic Silver HERE :thumb:

Reaction score
Hello Both,

Thanks for your replies.

Is this cleaner ok?

I have some paste already that I used before. This a has a board in it that I used to spread it over the CPU.

Thanks for the link Ady aswell,

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:

Ask a Question