build a pc(ive got a new budget)

Reaction score
i made a thread previously about making a pc for decent gaming on a small budget(was around 200) but i can now expand on that budget and have £400 but can possibly stretch it if needed.

im looking to go dual core on the cpu and sata with the hard drive... i also want the motherboard to be able to take pci-expresse.

if anybody could reccomend anything to me and possibly links to purchase them itd be greatly appreciated.

i need everything, case, psu, motherboard, cpu/fan and any other cooling that maybe needed, hd, gfx.

the only thing i dont need is dvd rom as ive allready got one lol.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You wanna go dual core for that price only option where you may get away with it is by going Socket 939.

And they're getting a little thin on the ground.

I mean, come on, Conroe 6600 is about £230, pci-e card, entry level, is £100.00, ram, motherboard, hard drive...... hah

Keep on dreaming :)

Reaction score
im not looking for stuff super high end, but as basic so i can get my comp sorted and can upgrade at a later date.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I think what my learned friend means is ... £400 just ain't going to get you a New uptodate PC without some compromising.

There are some cheapish Intel Duo-core blimey we cut a few corners, that can be had ... but you will be disappointed at the end result.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
*cough* sorry, did I sound harsh?

Didn't mean to be, just telling it like it is ;)

IF this was an ideal world, you'd wake up to the system of your choice, courtesy of me :)

But, this ain't no never never land is it........

Reaction score
like i say i can expand my budget if needed(i couldnt say how much cos im not quite sure how much further but £400 is my basic budget if that makes sense)

and im willing to compromise provided it allows me to upgrade nicely at a later date lol

muckshifter

Reaction score
I have here, for "repair", one of the best spect AMDs I've ever had a chance to lay my hands on ... running like a slug stuck in molasses ... this guy has spent a bloody fortune on it, and I just wiped all the crap off so he can start all over again. :D

What has this got to do with you ... nothing really, well almost nothing, 'cos right along side this beast is the "Old Girl" that I use for messing about with different OSs, including Vista, and it put this FX2 to shame.

I think even Mr FBS would agree that if you can get a 939 system, that's AMD by the way not Intel, then I think he would also agree that it could well last a year or two as long as you aren't expecting to play next years games as well.

I know my 939 will see me through for a few years, I'm no gamer, but I did have to upgrade the vid card to get oblivion to play tidy. Last time I buy a game like that. :D

Have a look here ... http://madoka.3bsystems.co.uk/browse.php?catref=116 ... I can hear them all groaning again at my link ... but it is a good example of a "cheap" supplier who, if asked, will give you an answer, and, is more than willing to help in reconfiguring any system he has listed ... you can call them on the phone to. ;)

I wouldn't be seen dead with some of the MBs they have in their systems, but you can always ask what is the best they do have to go with that and how much extra would that be. Then ask us to make sure. :D

I just noticed too the Lenovo listed there ... Lenovo bought IBMs PC devision.
nod.gif

Time for my bed ...
user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oblivion is a demanding game, I bought it a coupla weeks ago.

A good game, looks superb, a body could lose oneself in there.

Which is what I try and do, basically.

Socket A XP3200 1 gig ram, dfi board and some other stuff, it still stutters a little if I try and up the ante....

I may upgrade soon, while I still got the chance may go sckt 939, some bargains to be had

Reaction score
yeah ive been looking at the socket 939 actually and there is some bargains after shopping round so i may go with that and upgrade next year sometime maybe when i have a much bigger budget.

cheers for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
*cough* sorry, did I sound harsh?

Didn't mean to be, just telling it like it is ;)

I dont think you did sound harsh mate. Lets face it as mucks says £400 is pushing it for a gaming system. And under spending only costs you more money in the near future, because you only end up upgrading again quicker than you originally thought!

As was said in a previous post in a different thread earlier last week. X2 4800 939 for £180odd?!!?!?! Damn!!! They used to be £400odd. I only have a 4200x2 that cost me £255 less than a year ago. If i had the money I wouldnt hesitate to get a 4800 tomorrow old technology or not!! I know its a pain, Money that is, but we live by our means so buy what we can afford 'Well I know I do'. However if it makes a difference, and possible to spend an extra £200 to get that extra 12months believe me its well worth it. I dont think you will regret it mate.

Keep us informed with what you buy it will be nice to hear

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
leey2ki said:
im concidering this one

http://madoka.3bsystems.co.uk/productdetail.php?stockcode=SK-01929&catref=116

but i have heard that sata only works with xp 64bit, is this true???
I don't know where you "heard" that, but I'd take no notice of anything else thay may say from now on ... it's rubbish. ;)

You actually DO NOT WANT a 64 bit OS for ANY 64 bit PC ... and I include Linux in that quote ... one day, maybe the next OS after the next OS after Vista, but not yet.

I personally would not like that MB ... I say, personally would not like it, I do not like the brand ... just my opinion. Phone them, ask what Asus MB would they use instead with the same spec ... ask, would it cost more?

I hope some Asrock MB users will have a say as to how they fare these days.

user.gif

Reaction score
I have used Asrock on about 20+ PCs[various Skt A]for quite some time now, and to be honest I have found nothing at all wrong with them:thumb: they are very reliable and robust.

I give them ***** out of ***** Asus are now the equivalent.
Still have one running K7S8X and has been for five years never ever let me down, :D
SPEC:

Asrock Skt A K7S8X MOBO SIX PCI SLOTS six usb
AMD 2.6 Athlon
1Gig ram 2700 E-buyer cheap yep:nod: five years

120G HDD 7200

+ ALL THE RUNNING GEAR.

Goes like a rocket:user:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm notheing to do with this company exept buy the odd bit or bat, but you can get not a bad compromise and some not bad bargans too---- Yipeee!!! good for all

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor with 2000MHz HyperTransport Technology
2x256MB (512MB) Dual DDR 400 (PC3200) Branded Memory
256MB NVIDIA Geforce 6600 PCI Express Graphics
80GB Ultra-Fast SATA (150Mbps) Hard Disk Drive
Integrated 5.1 6 Channel Surround Sound Audio
Optional Digital and Analogue TV
Fast 100Mbit Ethernet LAN (Broadband Ready)
2 Front, 6 Rear Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Ports
£288
http://www.savastore.com

Reaction score
Hey there, I hope this helps a little. May '07s issue of Custom PC had an article in it outlining a gaming pc for £446 inc. VAT but, i assume, no P&P. I appreciate this may end up a little over your £400 mark but that is pretty low for a gaming pc. Some of these prices may have been at the time of going to print so I can't promise these are all still accurate.

1.8GHz Core 2 Duo E4300 - £103.89
Gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 - £45.81
2 x 512MB Corsair PC2-4200 - £46.32
Connect3D Radeon X1900GT - £99.95
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro - £11.69
120GB Western Digital WD1200JS - £35.23
Enermax CA3030 - £39.35
430W Seasonic S12-430 - £45.81
Asus DRW-1608P3S - £17.92

All these components were from www.scan.co.uk, except the Radeon which was from www.ebuyer.com. This will give some OK gaming for a while.

I know you said something about having a DVD drive but that lot makes up the £446. Again, sorry if these are out of date prices, I haven't had time to check them out.

Ask a Question