Budget is 500 pounds - need advice on where to buy/what to buy in a new pc

Reaction score
Had a computer for over 8 years and have upgraded both hardrives/RAM/CD rewriters etc myself and always keep virus definitions on Norton up to date and stuff like that.... Got ntl broadband and even got my own web site up and running for years... BUT HELP, my pc is nearly goosed and I have decided to buy a new one at last... I need help. Haven't got a clue where to start. I want a good processor (though anything would be good compared to the 399mhz this one is running on!!), at least 512mb of RAM etc. I own loads of software, including Office 2000 and XP Pro. I already have a cd rewriter that I fitted into this pc, but I guess most of the newer models arrive with that as standard?

Calling all experts! Please advise! I have budgeted for maximum of 500 including delivery and I do need a new monitor, though the one I have is still running after all these years but fading...

Thanks in advance for any advice !

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's possible to upgrade within that budget but you'll have to settle for a CRT Monitor, not a TFT. Also, RAM has just risen in price and is quite expoensive at the moment, which doesn't help.

Before I suggest some components, are you going to use any of the parts from your old system, and if so - which ones?

Come to think of it, are you going to build or buy one off the shelf?

I can suggest parts, with pros & cons, but sorry, haven't really got a clue what's available 'tailor-made'. But I could comment on specs of any model that takes your fancy.

Reaction score
Hi floppy,

Thanks for the reply.

I was initially going to buy tailor made, but the more I think about it the more annoyed I get at having to pay for a new hard drive/ce rewriter drive, keyboard , RAM etc, when the stuff I have is perfectly good..

I have 2 hard drives which gives me sufficient GB's at the moment. I have about 256 ram but will buy more.

I am going down the route of buying a new mother board and CPU now, which is stressing me out but I am determined to save myself some dough and get more for my money this way. Also I need a new monitor.

I will do some research - I guess I jumped the gun and was rushing into this! Going to take my time and try and do this properly.

The thought of disconnecting my mother board and walking into a pc shop... "excuse me, can I have a new motherboard this size, thanks".... lol, but that is the stage I am at right now, so researching I go first so I don't look like a total nerd!!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pleased to see your NOT going to "rush" into this ...

I would strongly suggest you invest in a new Case or at least look into a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) as you will probably find your present system is/will be under-powered. You can get relatively cheap cases that come with 350/400 PSUs. Make sure you have enough and look for at least 400/500watts.

Next, the obvious choice, and my first choice as you really don't need a case, (but it does help ;) ) is the motherboard ... this will be the foundation that all other components attach to and needs some thought. Again, ensure it will meet tomorrow’s needs, and, can/will accommodate any future technology such as the up-and-coming 64bit CPUs. An AMD MB is my choice here as you can fit one of their cheap chips, the Duron, and, go right through up-to and including the new 64bit chips, especially when the price comes down. My choice is an MSI K7N2 Delta MB but do some home work.

The CPU is as important, pick the right one now and save any heartache later ... again, based on AMD my pick would be the 2500+ Barton (333FSB) as the "bang for Bucks" is just right and you can find 'em around the £50 mark. Insist on a "Retail" chips as it will come complete with its own, AMD approved, HSF (Heat Sink & Fan).

Now the other problem is your memory ... I don't think your present memory will do the job as the new board will most certainly use the latest DDR stuff ... as I was suggesting an AMD 2500 333fsb CPU I would match that with PC2700 (DDR333) Ram, "Kingston Value Ram" is really reliable and at a good price, and, comes with a "lifetime warrantee".

If you need any help ... just shout out here and we'll do our best without reverting to any gobbledegook. :D

Reaction score
mucks,

you'll know this, is it better to have the ram fsb faster than the cpu fsb or vice versa?

i generally try and keep them the same but if you had to go one way which is the best, i basically heard somewhere never to have one faster than the other but can't remember which way round.

James

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I always match RAM to the CPU

So if I have a Barton 2500/333, I'll use 2700/333 memory ... as soon as I go to 400 I'll swop both out and down to my second system.

It won't make much difference, if any, using 3200/400 ram with a 333 CPU, you'll just wast the money.

Using 2700/333 ram on a 400 CPU will "technically" strangle it ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About the only hiccup to that thinking is a Barton XP3200 won't work with anything less than PC3200 RAM, I believe.

I've had a Gig of Crucial PC3200 RAM for a while now, with a Barton XP2500, just about to splash out on a 400fsb XP3200, I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can notice any definite improvement.

It's my bunce for building a system for a friend :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If you go to the Dell website (www.dell.co.uk), you can build your own PC for an extemely cheap price.

I bought a 4600i with: P4 2.8 Ghz(533), 512 dual channel DDR (333), 40 Gig maxtor, Cd rw, Geforce FX5200 128 DDR, seperate DVD drive, 17" CRT monitor, mouse and a decent keyboard for just over £450. It come with MS works 7.0, Windows XP home edition and a lot of other handy programs.

Now this comp runs like a dream, i can play virtually any game (far cry, UT 2004, Max Payne 2, Call Of Duty etc etc) without any problems.

I've had it for 2 months so far, not 1 crash or 1 problem what so ever. Delivery free and was about 1 week.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As it happens, as much as I dislike Dell, for a touch over £450.00 I have to admit it's not a bad deal.

But, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one when I know for the same money I can build a far superior system.

However, you have to take into account, I suppose, it comes ready built and presumably with some kind of warranty, although I've no idea what Dell Customer Support is like.

Only weak point in that system is the FX5200 video card, really not much cop, in my opinion, and I know cos I had an FX5200 Ultra for a while. A short while only, I may add :D

And I'm wondering what quality the Monitor is? Flat screen? Max Res? Max refresh rate?

Whatever, for the price, I definitely wouldn't advise against it, it's a fair spec and no hassle involved in building.

But not for me ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You'd be hard stretched to build a better PC than that for the Price. Aswell as having the software (Win XP home, MS Works 7.0). Its all quality parts inside, no corner cutting by Dell. They've given me a years warranty, if it breaks they come and collect, fix it and bring it back with no charge.

The case is good looking, and its extremely quiet too! The monitor is just your basic CRT 17". The picture seems alot clearer than my older one though. I think the res is about 1600*1200, but im not 100% sure.

But i have to admin i have upgraded it a little ;) . I've bought an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro and a 400watt PSU to power it :p .

Ask a Question