Advice needed to buy a new comp with quad core

Reaction score
Hi, I am pretty hopeless with computers and need some friendly advice on where to buy from and what to buy please! I found some great systems i wanted at prices I liked but they were from Mesh computers and PC World and since I have yet to find a good report about either company I think I'd rather look elsewhere! But where do I look?? Most of the places i look at don't sell what I want and the ones that do I am worried might be just as bad as PC World and Mesh.

I want an Intel quad core processor, 4GB Ram, not really bothered about how big the hard drive is as I can get external later, want a decent graphics card something like a Geforce 8600GT but am not too fussy, want a decent sound card and need a dual layer DVD re-writer and would like a tv tuner added too. I'm not a gamer but I have my own business working from home so I want a computer that is as "future-proof" as a computer is ever going to get and something that is reliable and will work pretty quick. I don't need a monitor or keyboard or mouse just the computer itself. I need to find somewhere that can put all of that together for me and have a decent customer services, and a great technical help (since I am technically challenged!) and fantastic prices!!!

I don't ask for much do I??? Anyway if anyone knows of any companies that can do this or have recieved any great service from anywhere I would appreciate some advice.
Linzie xxx

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I reckon that a ATI Radeon 3850 or a 3870 would be better value and more future proof than the 8600 .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hey Linzie, lol you are in exactly the same position as i was only a couple of weeks ago!! https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3395621.php
Anyways i went for a Dell and im very very happy with it as you can see in that thread. Looking at a thread I saw recently Cube computers look good value too, maybe some one could comment on there customer support.

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
Hi FSman,

i'm not really sure about Dell because I rang up for a quote and everyone I spoke to had really strong accents and I struggled to understand a word they said! Don't fancy that idea if I need technical support! Have you had to speak to anyone to get help setting it all up and if you have how did it go?

Abarbarian, is radeon still a decent make?? i know they were years ago when I still knew what the inside of a computer looked like but not been able to find many great reviews on them now and for the price of the 3870 I could get a geforce 8800 couldn't I??

linzie xxx

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi linzie, and welcome :)

FSman refered to Cube247 in his post above, I have had personal dealings with them in the past and their customer service is very good (via a national rate phone number where you speak directly to the same people who actually build them)

Perhaps go take a look at their site, and maybe ring them for a chat and see what you think.

Reaction score
Hey Linzie,

Nope i havent had to speak to anyone yet as i havent had any problems at all. As for setting up the PC its just a case of plugging everything together and switching on, didnt even have to install anything it was already installed on there. As for the accents did you explain that you couldnt understand a word they were saying lol? Maybe they could have tried to speak a bit slower and clearer for you, Im sure you cant be the first :D

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
Oh yeah as Adywebb said i was refering to a Cube PC in that post, In my opinion i think both Cube and Dell are pretty good from what I have read :)

Lee.

Reaction score
Thanks, cube looks pretty good but a bit more expensive, but I guess thats what you have to do if you want good service! no such thing as a bargain I think!

Telling them to speak a bit slower would seem the most obvious answer but my poor little brain was already being way overworked thinking about computers!!!

Linzie xxx

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Often buying cheap is a false economy - just look at what happens when you buy from Mesh for instance ;)

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Often buying cheap is a false economy - just look at what happens when you buy from Mesh for instance ;)

LOL good point :D Is something seems too good to be true it normally is ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
linzielegs said:
Hi FSman,

i'm not really sure about Dell because I rang up for a quote and everyone I spoke to had really strong accents and I struggled to understand a word they said! Don't fancy that idea if I need technical support! Have you had to speak to anyone to get help setting it all up and if you have how did it go?

Abarbarian, is radeon still a decent make?? i know they were years ago when I still knew what the inside of a computer looked like but not been able to find many great reviews on them now and for the price of the 3870 I could get a geforce 8800 couldn't I??

linzie xxx

A new version 8800 GT would be the card . It is more expensive but not by much . You'll be able to play games really well on one .

:D

Ask a Question