BT Openreach

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I noticed on Monday night my landline ( TalkTalk ) wasn't working. Constant tone with loads of noise. Called up TalkTalk and they assked me to swap out phones, check phone in mastersocketetc, still did the same. They said they would send an engineer to lookat the exchange and run more tests etc and if there was no problem there then an Openreach engineer would need to be booked and if the fault is with my equipment I would be charged.

In true TalkTalk way they booked an engineer without even consulting me, luckily I was when he called to say he was in my street and would see me in 5 minutes.

He plugged all his little gubbins in and went back to CAB, but no fault there, came back and found fault with the master socket and needed a replacement which he didn't have, but a mate did.

Apparently the lightening on Momday evening had blownthe master socket. He had rather shocked look on his face obviously when his mate said its chargable. Since when did acts of God become chargeable ?

Now just to wait and see if TalkTalk are going to try charge me for it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Which part of the socket? The faceplate or the whole thing?

Technically, the master socket and back is BT Property, Faceplate and internal wiring is Home owner.. Us mere mortals are only allowed to mess with up to and including the faceplate. ;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Which part of the socket? The faceplate or the whole thing?

Technically, the master socket and back is BT Property, Faceplate and internal wiring is Home owner.. Us mere mortals are only allowed to mess with up to and including the faceplate. ;)

He replaced the whole thing. I asked him whats mine and whats his. And he reckons the whole thing is thiers including the face plate.
I just don't trust TalkTalk, they try bill you for anything they can.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ha sounds about right, i've been told by BT i can/could change the face plate if i wish. Which i did. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The Terms & Conditions of Rental of BT Owned equipment state ... faults are chargeable when due to enviromental factors, e.g lightning, electrical surges, floods, (or words to that effect)

Lightning is not considered "wear & tear" and is chargeable to replace the equipment, even if they have no proper strategy in protecting their equipment against lightning, they used to have such things as lightning protection, but not any more, so they charge you to fix it ... you need to claim on your household insurance. :)

The NTE5 back bit is their "equipment" the faceplate is considered yours-ish.

Ask a Question