BSOD help

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted but I am in dire need of help. My laptop, a Dell Insprion 8600, has been showing a BSOD all day.
It says: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
and then stuff about how to fix it, the
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x833904E0, 0x0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It still shows this screen if you start the computer in any of the safe modes, normally or when it last worked properly.

The only CD I have for it is a Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003.

Thanks in advance, Louise.

Reaction score
This is relatively easy to fix, but you'll need an XP/2K CD or a program like ERD. This usually occurs when NTLDR (NT Loader) is corrupt. The file needs replacing with a copy that isn't corrupt.

Alternatively if you have a caddy for a laptop HDD or converter you can do from another PC.

Not sure how much help thats going to be.

James

Reaction score
If you're running XP, the easiest way to fix that is with the windows XP cd itself. If you computer didnt come with one, it may have had a set of recovery disks (most Dell's seem to have these).

Failing that, either borrow a cd briefly from a friend to get your system back up, or use another machine to download a bootdisk which will also work.

Good luck :)

Ask a Question