BSODs

Reaction score
Soyo

Soyo P4Soyo P4X400 with onboard audio, 2.7GHz Intel Celeron, 768MB
Ram, 310Gb Disk Storage, ADSL, XP PRO,
When this problem first started, I was using the onboard audio, and the CMI8738/C3DX PCI driver. I later installed a new sound card.
The problem occurrs when my wife is playing Hearts or Spades on MS Zone, which is the only time this problem occurs. She has asked other players but no one else is having a problem. This problem occurs about every other day.

The sound generated by playing a card will cease, then the speakers will produce a clicking sound. If the game is continued, it will work normally, without sound, until the game is closed. (If I minimize the game, I can do other things, such as check email, play other games, etc. Everything except the sound works okay.) When I close the Zone Hearts or Spades game, I get a BSOD, indicating a problem with the sound system. I have tried three different versions of the driver, all to no avail.

I removed the onboard sound system from the hardware device driver, installed an AOPEN sound card, and the problem has changed only slightly. It also uses the same CMI8738 driver.

Now, when the problem occurs, again only while playing Hearts or Spades, the noise is slightly different but with the same results. Close the game, get a BSOD. If I remember correctly, I have had BSODs mentioning the Audio System since I installed the AOPEN sound card, but now, the CMI audio system is not indicated in the latest BSODs. The Stops I wrote down are listed below:

I don't know the message that preceeded this Stop.
Stop 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF6E88299, 0xF34DE860, 0x00000000)

Bad_Pool_caller
Stop 0x000000C2 ( 0x00000040, 0x00000000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)

I don't know the message that preceeded this Stop.
Stop 0x0000007E (0x00000005, 0x8054AA32, 0xF3033C74, 0xF3033970)

I have run memory test for hours, swapped all 3 memory modules into different slots, run more memory tests for hours, all with no errors.

I have 3 mnidumps from the BSODs. If someone could analyze them, maybe I would have a clue as to what to do. I did a "Repair" on XP and that did not help.I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Stop 0x000000C2 ... indicates a bad driver, there is usually more to the Stop Error than you posted.

Stop 0x0000007E ... There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Stop 0x0000008E ... A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

You got a lot going on there ... but it only happens when are doing one specific task ... strange ? Stop playing the game. :D

oh, welcome to the forums. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Quit?

Quit? Surely you jest. This is my wifes favorite card game. I'll just hang myself and leave a note for her to give up her online games...
Thanks for the reply; I'll research each of your suggestions asap.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops, no, no need to use drastic measures ... just emigrate. :D

It really looks like a driver "problem" with that game, why, I know not, but games have a nasty habit of showing up some very peculiar faults.

:user:

Ask a Question