browsers not working

I can ping google, yahoo, etc. I can not bring my browsers up, IE or
Netscape. Sometimes when my computer boots up I can not even see my network
icons.

However in safe mode with networking everything works fine. I ran netsh int
ip reset resetlog.txt and this did not fix this problem.

Does anyone what any solutions? I even did a reinstall with as an upgrade
and this did not work, I uninstalled the network and reinstalled it and this
did not work.

System was working fine, Please help I do not want to lose my work I have
done.

Thank you
Dee

Don Varnau

Hi,
I can not bring my browsers up

Will the browsers not open (launch) or are they not connecting to the
internet?
However in safe mode with networking everything works fine

This indicates that a program that loads during normal startup is causing
the problem.
Are you running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Internet Security?

Which OS? Windows XP? XP SP2?

Have you tried a System Restore? I would not restore to a point more than 4
or 5 days old.

If using XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type
netsh Winsock reset
Click OK or Enter.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

The browsers will not launch at all. I am running Windows XP SP2. I
disabled Norton and took it off because I felt this was the problem as well.
I can no go to a restore point because in trying to fix this problem when it
first happened I did an install with an upgrade which wriped out any resotre
points. This happened on Friday. Also I can not set into the firewall
application.

Thanks
Dee

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
I can not bring my browsers up

Will the browsers not open (launch) or are they not connecting to the
internet?
However in safe mode with networking everything works fine

This indicates that a program that loads during normal startup is causing
the problem.
Are you running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Internet Security?

Which OS? Windows XP? XP SP2?

Have you tried a System Restore? I would not restore to a point more than 4
or 5 days old.

If using XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type
netsh Winsock reset
Click OK or Enter.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Dee said:
I can ping google, yahoo, etc. I can not bring my browsers up, IE or
Netscape. Sometimes when my computer boots up I can not even see my network
icons.

However in safe mode with networking everything works fine. I ran netsh int
ip reset resetlog.txt and this did not fix this problem.

Does anyone what any solutions? I even did a reinstall with as an upgrade
and this did not work, I uninstalled the network and reinstalled it and this
did not work.

System was working fine, Please help I do not want to lose my work I have
done.

Thank you
Dee

Thank God I have more then one computer, but the one with problems is my
newest and best one and has all my web development on it.

When this happened Norton was trying to warn me of a problem.

Dee

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
I can not bring my browsers up

Will the browsers not open (launch) or are they not connecting to the
internet?
However in safe mode with networking everything works fine

This indicates that a program that loads during normal startup is causing
the problem.
Are you running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Internet Security?

Which OS? Windows XP? XP SP2?

Have you tried a System Restore? I would not restore to a point more than 4
or 5 days old.

If using XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type
netsh Winsock reset
Click OK or Enter.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Dee said:
I can ping google, yahoo, etc. I can not bring my browsers up, IE or
Netscape. Sometimes when my computer boots up I can not even see my network
icons.

However in safe mode with networking everything works fine. I ran netsh int
ip reset resetlog.txt and this did not fix this problem.

Does anyone what any solutions? I even did a reinstall with as an upgrade
and this did not work, I uninstalled the network and reinstalled it and this
did not work.

System was working fine, Please help I do not want to lose my work I have
done.

Thank you
Dee

Don Varnau

Hi,
I don't know of a program (malware or legitimate) that would prevent both IE
and Netscape from launching.

Try this... Startup in Safe Mode. Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable
non-microsoft add-ons. See if that allows IE to launch in normal mode.

This sounds like a malware problem. I would download, update and run
Ad-aware, Spybot and MS Anti-Spyware (Beta.)
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

I changed the tools option, ran microsoft's untility which found quite a bit
including in the registry, ran spybot which found 9 infections and ran
ad-ware pcdoctor.

I will can not get explore to go to any sites, but I can ping. Is there any
way to fix this with an install where I could get to in other software then I
now have installed. It seems like a new install would work and not an
upgrade. Also the strange thing is I am also running windows 2003 server on
that computer and it works fine. Internet, explore and all.

Please help.
Dee
Dee said:
Thank God I have more then one computer, but the one with problems is my
newest and best one and has all my web development on it.

When this happened Norton was trying to warn me of a problem.

Dee

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
I can not bring my browsers up

Will the browsers not open (launch) or are they not connecting to the
internet?
However in safe mode with networking everything works fine

This indicates that a program that loads during normal startup is causing
the problem.
Are you running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Internet Security?

Which OS? Windows XP? XP SP2?

Have you tried a System Restore? I would not restore to a point more than 4
or 5 days old.

If using XP SP2...
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type
netsh Winsock reset
Click OK or Enter.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Dee said:
I can ping google, yahoo, etc. I can not bring my browsers up, IE or
Netscape. Sometimes when my computer boots up I can not even see my network
icons.

However in safe mode with networking everything works fine. I ran netsh int
ip reset resetlog.txt and this did not fix this problem.

Does anyone what any solutions? I even did a reinstall with as an upgrade
and this did not work, I uninstalled the network and reinstalled it and this
did not work.

System was working fine, Please help I do not want to lose my work I have
done.

Thank you
Dee

Ricky

Give this a try..
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

| I changed the tools option, ran microsoft's untility which found
quite a bit
| including in the registry, ran spybot which found 9 infections and
ran
| ad-ware pcdoctor.
|
| I will can not get explore to go to any sites, but I can ping. Is
there any
| way to fix this with an install where I could get to in other
software then I
| now have installed. It seems like a new install would work and not
an
| upgrade. Also the strange thing is I am also running windows 2003
server on
| that computer and it works fine. Internet, explore and all.
|
| Please help.
| Dee
| "Dee" wrote:
|
| > Thank God I have more then one computer, but the one with problems
is my
| > newest and best one and has all my web development on it.
| >
| > When this happened Norton was trying to warn me of a problem.
| >
| > Dee
| >
| > "Don Varnau" wrote:
| >
| > > Hi,
| > >
| > > Will the browsers not open (launch) or are they not connecting to
the
| > > internet?

| > > This indicates that a program that loads during normal startup is
causing
| > > the problem.
| > > Are you running Norton Internet Security or McAfee Internet
Security?

| > > Which OS? Windows XP? XP SP2?
| > >
| > > Have you tried a System Restore? I would not restore to a point
more than 4
| > > or 5 days old.
| > >
| > > If using XP SP2...
| > > Log on as an administrator.
| > > From Start> Run, type
| > > netsh Winsock reset
| > > Click OK or Enter.
| > >
| > > Don
| > > [MS MVP- IE]

IE or
| > > network

| > > int

| > > this

Ricky

You might also check in internet options..programs tab and click the
manage addons button. Something there might be interfering with the
browsers. Or get BHO demon here..
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html and use it to disable BHO's
and see if one is interfering with your browsers.

| This did not work, however good information to have.
|
| "Ricky" wrote:
|
| > Give this a try..
| > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

| > | > |
| > | I changed the tools option, ran microsoft's untility which found
| > quite a bit
| > | including in the registry, ran spybot which found 9 infections
and
| > ran
| > | ad-ware pcdoctor.
| > |
| > | I will can not get explore to go to any sites, but I can ping.
Is
| > there any
| > | way to fix this with an install where I could get to in other
| > software then I
| > | now have installed. It seems like a new install would work and
not
| > an
| > | upgrade. Also the strange thing is I am also running windows
2003
| > server on
| > | that computer and it works fine. Internet, explore and all.
| > |
| > | Please help.
| > | Dee
| > | "Dee" wrote:
| > |
| > is my

| > the

| > causing
| > Security?

| > more than 4

| > IE or
| > see my

| > ran netsh

| > an upgrade
| > reinstalled it and

| > work I have

I would like to thank everyone that tried to help. I had some kind of virus,
however it only affected my browsers. Uninstalling them and reinstalling
them did not help.

In order to save the software I had I did a new install without formatting
the partition and just reinstalled windows.

As stated before Windows 2003 and 5 other partitions were not affected as
well as all other software.

I am currently using Netscape on the computer I was having problems with, I
just have no links to my probrams in the programs file, so I guess I will
have to re-install them to get this.

Thanks again
Dee

Ricky said:
You might also check in internet options..programs tab and click the
manage addons button. Something there might be interfering with the
browsers. Or get BHO demon here..
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html and use it to disable BHO's
and see if one is interfering with your browsers.

| This did not work, however good information to have.
|
| "Ricky" wrote:
|
| > Give this a try..
| > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

| > | > |
| > | I changed the tools option, ran microsoft's untility which found
| > quite a bit
| > | including in the registry, ran spybot which found 9 infections
and
| > ran
| > | ad-ware pcdoctor.
| > |
| > | I will can not get explore to go to any sites, but I can ping.
Is
| > there any
| > | way to fix this with an install where I could get to in other
| > software then I
| > | now have installed. It seems like a new install would work and
not
| > an
| > | upgrade. Also the strange thing is I am also running windows
2003
| > server on
| > | that computer and it works fine. Internet, explore and all.
| > |
| > | Please help.
| > | Dee
| > |