Brewing your own Beer

Reaction score
Thought this would be a good thread to start.
I think i can learn a lot from Fred while he is camping at crunchers corner campsite:thumb:
So if you are a brewer or want to learn the noble art, then lets get talkin about it:D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Help needed

Ok i was given a kit for my birthday last september ...says it makes 40 pints , cant see it really as the tin is not that big...What next ;)

Reaction score
Rush said:
Ok i was given a kit for my birthday last september ...says it makes 40 pints , cant see it really as the tin is not that big...What next ;)

Was it + VAT:lol: :lol: Oh!!! no it was - VAT:lol:

Reaction score
Me mum used to make wine. Damn that stuff was strong!

A friend also. He used anything from potatoes peelings to rubarb even the good old fashioned nettles and dandelions

Needless to say I never ever touched his! lol (ahem wine that is) I know how some of you lot think! ;)

Theres loads of online sites about but heres one he used

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rush said:
Did you not get a large plastic bin with it?
Normally your would ferment the beer & yeast in the plastic bucket & then bottle it. Then store for a few weeks & drink. What did your kit consist of??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have this great eBook that i found somewhere thats full of wine and beer recipes, havent got round to making any yet but in time i will

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, I'd be well up for giving something like this a go :) Really liking real ales at the moment as I've discovered a fantastic pub that serves loads of guest ones + spitfire, london pride etc... :thumb:

Reaction score
This could actually turn out to be an interesting thread.

People could give hints and tips. Tell others what their next brew is gonna be.

What y'all think?

I actually wouldnt mind giving it a go. i know it aint that expensive to do which is cool

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I made my own beer and wine from 1976 to 2001, only stopped after divorce and change of location.

Have made all the country wines, I think the best two I ever made were elderberry (picked in Chatham) and Apple (taken from windfalls from an orchard in Surrrey, near Peas Pottage).

Best beer was bitter and one particular brew was put in a wooden keg I swiped from outside a Youngs pub in SE London one drunken night late seventies. The keg was made of oak and it departed the most wonderful flavour to the beer.

I put it out at a party I held and it was labelled (my surname is Sullivan) 'Sully's Blue B**tard'. Every drop went.

There don't seem to be so many home brew shops on the high street now but I see the link above, I may start again.

I coud probably offer some advice, and I have a great book here on how to make home made wines. The book is so good, the author's dead, died from kidney failure.....:lol:

Seriously, it's a good book, could show some recipes here if anybody's interested.

Reaction score
Yeah might take you up on that offer someday soon

Gonna look into getting some gear together I think over the next few weeks after i've bought my new PSU :'(

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Definitely interested flops! Have to admit, Fred's comments on his cider & mead have really caught my interest & I'd love to try making some home-made wines :nod:

Reaction score
cirianz said:
Definitely interested flops! Have to admit, Fred's comments on his cider & mead have really caught my interest & I'd love to try making some home-made wines
nod.gif
Yep Fred's comments got me thinking of brewing again:thumb:

Reaction score
My dad used to make wine when i was a kit - made it from local picked blackberry's and also we had our own grape vine in the utility room of our old house on the ceiling it was awesome - so made regular wine too.

Yummy

Reaction score
The kits that are the easiest to make are the ones that come in a large canvas bag, all you do is add water & yeast and let them brew for 4 weeks:thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My parents used to make wine - I was too young at the time, but apparently it knocked your socks off! ;)

Haven't got the resources to do it at the moment (living in a city centre apartment...), but like Ian I do love to try interesting ales!

I also like fruit wines - my favourite I've tried is Raspberry Wine - it's yummy! :D

Reaction score
Hmmm beer

Sexy Bex said:
but like Ian I do love to try interesting ales!Typical ex students:p

I also like fruit wines - my favourite I've tried is Raspberry Wine - it's yummy! :D
Must admit my love of real came when i found larger to cold & went for warmer ale. I also collect books on brewing beer and beers (ale) & have all the camra books (including the one that got recalled for slagging of youngs brewery!)

So if your at a beer fest and you see someone talking to theirselves come and say hello it could be me:rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
If anyone needs me to test any home-made cider, I am more than happy to offer my services.

Reaction score
BigJay said:
If anyone needs me to test any home-made cider, I am more than happy to offer my services.
Cheers BigJay for your more than kind offer, but as i'm near South East London & your in Wales we have a small problem of distance:rolleyes: Otherwise it was a very cunning plan:D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
When i was little ..my neighbour made rice whisky and invited my dad around...well not to soon after he was bladdered and my mum locked him in the bathroom to sober up..Gibberish was the order of that night ..

Thanks for the memory...has made me chuckle :)

Ask a Question