BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while
they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and
didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright
colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and
when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we
took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special
treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with
sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into
the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at
all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no
cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or
Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with
sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we
did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard
of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Here here Quad........big Clap......Never a truer word spoken....:thumb:

Do you know what, i don't know how we ever made it.

Reaction score
40`s And I am still doing all those things:p Yes very well in fact.... and baby look at me now:D
:thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I was born in the wrong decade :(

Some say the wrong century! ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah ... the 'good old days' one day they may return. :D

Do you know how hard it is to find a 'soda' that does NOT contain some sort of sweetner? Give me sugar anyday, 0% Fat.

You forgot, good music. :thumb:

Reaction score
I always thought I was born in the wrong century. I think I would have prefered to have been born about 2050.

Oh well

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while
they carried us.

You remember those kids who were always bottom of the class? It was their mothers who smoked 40 Capstan full strength a day and regularly supped from a bottle of Gin during pregnancy.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and
didn't get tested for diabetes.

So that accounts for all those deformed kids then? S’funny, I always thought it was down to thalidomide.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright
colored lead-based paints.

Reducing life expectancy of infant who slept in it to ten years less than his peers.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and
when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we
took hitchhiking.

My mate Richard spent three days in intensive care once, aged five, after drinking bleach from one of those containers. I still have a scar on my head where I left my bicycle and said hello to a lamp post. When hitch hiking, you were really unlucky if the drivers were named Hindley or Brady.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Both of which have reduced child fatality rates in vehicular accidents.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special
treat.

Until it collided with a bus.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

I still do.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

I still do.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with
sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

I still do.

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

True, that.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the streetlights came on.

Aye, twas so.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

Most kids were ok, those who weren’t made newspaper headlines. And it’s much the same today. It’s an advantage to be able to carry a mobile phone.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into
the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

I done that. Once shredded my fingers when both hands went into front spoked wheels whilst laying prone on kart and hitting a bump. That hurt.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at
all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no
cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or
Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

And that was our loss. Kids still have friends. Real friends.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

Hmm, now that IS one sad consequence of ‘today’ culture. Blame the Yanks.

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

Are you sure? Looked at your faeces lately? ;)

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with
sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we
did not put out very many eyes.

Just one eye was one too many eyes. But banning conkers is taking things too far.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

I do believe kids still do that.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Little League? That’s American isn’t it, but I understand the point. I was crap at sports, but I was always the one with the ball, so I got picked. It’s a learning process – there’s more than one way to advance in life.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard
of. They actually sided with the law!

True that, but maybe the police were better then, cos mostly they caught the ones who deserved it. Like me.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers and inventors ever!

Aye, and I expect the next generation will too.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

And the next 50 won’t be? I think I’ve seen more things happen in the past five years than the last 50.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

So what’s changed? Has it changed? I’m really not sure. I will concede we weren’t kept wrapped in cotton wool, we were exposed to the nasty things in life and had to learn to deal with them. And that’s me only concession.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These bloody old farty things, usually penned by Americans, make me sick :mad:

It’s a smug thing, a comfort thing, a thing designed to make you feel good as your body falls apart around you and you realize you can’t do some of the things you used to able to do.

Sad, but true, mes amies :)

And yes, I know, I'm cynical but give today's kids a break, please.

Ok, rant over, go back to slappin’ yourselves on the back :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
you is getting old ...

are you Pink mr Floyd

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Some of that is true... but things change and some people have problems accepting that.

People tend to worry more - because things have become so safe and sterile... If im 3 minutes late getting home from somewhere, even work... i'll get a text or call from mum who cant go to sleep until im home...

Hell i remember riding in the back of a pickup truck at 40+ mph... it was the scariest thing ive ever done because there was nothing to hold onto and the tailgate was down!

I think the thing about playing outside and not getting fat is quite true - there are too many kids who eat crap and play FPS for 18 hours of every day. Get a life (and a girlfriend if at all possible)

Innovation is constant - take computers for one example - when are they going to stop advancing? They wont. Every year has had good inventions and innovations and that will continue. Everything will get better.

So what if you didnt get picked for the team... its not because they didnt like you, its because you sucked at sport... take up drums or electric guitar or something like that... thats what i did, and performed in front of the whole school.

Its the woosy sheltered kids that have problems - and thats because of what i think this world has come to - too sheltered. Banning conquers? Ok so someone gets a smack round the head with one, it wont kill you, if anything its gonna tougen you up. Like playground fights. Or fights on the bus - they were fun... someone challenges you to a dead arm or leg fight and you make them cry like a schoolgirl. Those were fun times.

Policing probably was better back then - none of this "in the interest of the crown prosecution service and tax payers interest" rubbish - the cop would take a chav down an alley and give him a blood good kicking. Thats what stopped the chav culture exploding back then (partially at least) - not the fear of a £80 fine...

I'm about to start reading a book actually - its called "The Coppering Lark" by Victor Meek - who was the great grandfather of my friend who has just died. Its about a nasty cop, an autobiography so all true. Looks like a fantastic read - published in the 60's...

In all... things have changed yes. Things have got BETTER. Not everything is worse!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Bloody hell ... a lot of phelofficers hear. :confused:

Bring back the cane, birch 'em, bring back slavery, hang 'em high, get 'em all working at 8 ... what was the matter with the 'old days' ... :rolleyes:

You should have put this post in your Humour Thread Quad ...
nod.gif

Better leave the American Humour over the water next time ... :thumb:

Got any good Indian jokes Quad ... or would that invoke the wrath of the 'politically correct' bregrade.

sheesh ... lighten up folks, it's a joke! :rolleyes:

happywave.gif

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
lol, quad, ~ :thumb:

flopps, ~ kmb__ ~ j/k,,, nm ;)

muckshifter said:
Better leave the American Humour over the water next time ... :thumb:
g/l w/that, mucks ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
darcy said:
lol, quad, ~ :thumb:

flopps, ~ kmb__ ~ j/k,,, nm ;)

g/l w/that, mucks ;)
'ang on gal ... I just got to RTFM a tick ... :)

Typical ... no update since 1809. :rolleyes:

:p

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Have to agree though that it's very easy to idealise our childhoods, & I had some fantastic times & there's much to be missed. But it also never fails to amaze me, with some of the things I got up to, that I did survive my childhood. & some didn't. I don't have to think far at all to remember some serious injuries resulting from some of those activities.

& I'll never ever forget what a 12 year old girl looks like after a truck's finished with her.
My kids will wear reflective jackets when out cycling in the dusk.

& my exhusband? He wasn't wearing a seatbelt when he went through the front windscreen of his father's car at 7yo. The brain damage didn't effect his intelligence.
But it did effect his ability to feel deeply, to connect with people, & to remember such things as promises made. All very usefull characteristics in maintaining a longterm relationship with a partner.

& the cell phone thing... when I was a kid a young girl went missing while out riding outside a nice, quiet, safe country town. She was never seen again.
About two weeks ago someone pulled up in a street & shoved a young girl in the trunk of his car... it took seconds & there was no one around to see. The police caught him before he had even stopped the car.
My daughter also always carries a cell phone if they go play down the road at the swing or walk into Port.

I can think of a lot more examples, I bet most of us can.
& maybe this all is 'in good fun' & I should lighten up
I am not interested in 'suffocating' my children.
& I know that many instances of 'protecting our children' have gone past practical & into the ridiculous.
But I aren't stupid either.
One of the main reasons we do have so many more ways of keeping our kids safe now than our parents did then,
Is because so many people have had to live with the consequences of the things that went wrong when we were the kids.

sorry quads :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
The worst thing about growing up today is lawsuits.

In school, if we fight, the school calls the police and somebody gets an ASBO and expelled. Then the parents sue the school, and the school gets shut down and the headtecher gets shot.

Teachers cannot control students - and no, not because they don't have a cane - but because if they so much as shout at them they are accused of being abusive and sacked. It has happened at my school twice this year.

I was in cub scouts when I was 8, and seeing my brother go there now they are not allowed to do anything exciting at all. Everything they do must have a health and safety review and must be passed by a board of people. They cannot climb trees, jump in rivers, build shelters, throw sticks, build bridges, or even cook without permission. This is something which has changed so much since even I was there, 8 years ago.

Also, the fact is many kids today are complete arseholes. Most of my school are just pikeys who break things. I'm not exactly an angel myself, but there are some hardcore dicks in my school who go around at night mugging people knowing that nothing can happen to them because the law is protecting them.

If kids over 12 could go to real prison too, and got the same senteces as adults, it would solve many problems.

Even in the sodding army now everything is about compensation. A soldier dies IN A GUN BATTLE and the army gets sued. People used to have to sit in a trench while their feet rotted, but if little mikey gets shouted at by the big bad sargeant then somebody must be brought to 'justice'.

End of small rant.

Reaction score
Human Rights Act

The slogan for the last 5 years has been, If theirs a blame theirs a claim!

And the European Human Rights Act, so someone murders a teacher & they get life, because they are not allowed a colour TV in their cell they sue the prison service because their rights have been abused!

What about the person they killed, did they not have a right to live!

I will not add more to this thread, the whole country has gone sh1t shape!!!!!

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
The worst thing about growing up today is lawsuits.

In school, if we fight, the school calls the police and somebody gets an ASBO and expelled. Then the parents sue the school, and the school gets shut down and the headtecher gets shot.

Teachers cannot control students - and no, not because they don't have a cane - but because if they so much as shout at them they are accused of being abusive and sacked. It has happened at my school twice this year.

I was in cub scouts when I was 8, and seeing my brother go there now they are not allowed to do anything exciting at all. Everything they do must have a health and safety review and must be passed by a board of people. They cannot climb trees, jump in rivers, build shelters, throw sticks, build bridges, or even cook without permission. This is something which has changed so much since even I was there, 8 years ago.

Also, the fact is many kids today are complete arseholes. Most of my school are just pikeys who break things. I'm not exactly an angel myself, but there are some hardcore dicks in my school who go around at night mugging people knowing that nothing can happen to them because the law is protecting them.

Very,very true Potguy.:(
The sad thing is its not going to get any better. I know what its like to be stuck in a class full of kids who drink regularly or take drugs, or have smashed up things. Like you say we arent the best kids in the school, I'm not a Fairy good guy.
Watching the teachers suffer is pretty bad as well, i have seen 2 teachers driven into early retirement from teaching, one of them was in the army before she came into teaching.
I dont know how to solve it, but something needs to be done.

Ask a Question