    monitor? I need to use it in an industrial application
    where I will have keyboard and monitor for setup, but not
    for normal operation.

    Guest, Oct 16, 2003

  2. No problem. You'll need to make sure that the BIOS isn't set to halt when
    no keyboard/monitor is present, but as far as Windows 2000 is concerned, it
    doesn't need a keyboard/mouse.

    Regards

    Oli

    Oli Restorick [MVP], Oct 16, 2003

  3. Oli Restorick [MVP] wrote:
    > No problem. You'll need to make sure that the BIOS isn't set to halt when
    > no keyboard/monitor is present, but as far as Windows 2000 is concerned, it
    > doesn't need a keyboard/mouse.

    Really? That's impressive!

    I don't even trust switch boxes for production servers' monitors and
    mice. I have one of each for every server, and it's pretty crowded.

    So what if you lock yourself out one day, and need to log on locally to
    fix it? Can you just plug in a keyboard and mouse without rebooting and
    suddenly be able to log on? I didn't think you could, in fact some
    hardware manuals say you should never plug/unplug a mouse while the
    machine is on (but that's maybe only kit from 10 years ago)...

    One thing I did get a shock about the other day, was trying to run
    Partition Magic from boot floppies, it said I didn't have a mouse! Damn
    USB! I then connected it via PS2 (lucky I had a port and adapter), but
    it still said "no mouse" - turns out the Microsoft DOS driver can't
    recognize my Logitech mouse! Luckily I found an undocumented folder on
    my Logitech CD that had a DOS driver, but it's a bit of a lesson in how
    far things have become removed from the BIOS, and how you need to make
    sure you've got all low-level drivers to hand for all your kit.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Hi Gerry

    I don't actually do this, but I'm pretty sure that plugging in a keyboard
    should result in a working keyboard, but a PS2 mouse won't magically work.
    However, I think a USB mouse should work. That's an educated guess on my
    part, though.

    Regards

    Oli

    Oli Restorick [MVP], Oct 16, 2003

    Ted Guest

    I can state that I've done that quite a few times and ALL the time the
    KEYBOARD is detected without problems...Hmmmregarding the MOUSE, I've tested
    using the PS/2 & that works too! Off coursedepending on which KBD/MOUSE you
    have & whether you need extra drivers it might NOT work...

    Ted

    Ted, Oct 17, 2003