Blue screen when loading Windows Update

Paul Schofield

Hi,

I've recently started getting the blue screen when trying to access windows
update.
I've tried uninstalling everything I recently installed and rolling back via
system restore (although the system checkpoints never seem to work).
I seem to get different codes, but the first ones were 0x0000008E,
0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xef36dc54 and 0x00000000.
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Schofield

I tried having a look at that, but unfortunately the problem continues.
A couple of things I've noticed: first, I sometime get different error
messages with different codes (eg sometimes page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and
sometimes not). Second, it will only ever happen when I'm browsing
web-sites, but not if I'm doing anything else.
Any ideas please?

Paul

Will Denny

Hi

Perhaps you need to try the Internet Explorer News Group:

or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Paul Schofield

Hi,

I could try that but to be honest I think I'll just download IE6 from MS and
reinstall it sometime.
It occurred to me that these problems only happen with IE, but I have
another browser supplied by my ISP, BT Yahoo, which doesn't suffer from
these problems and which will run Windows Update just as well (at least for
now) :)
Thanks for your help, Will,

Paul

David Candy

Type verifier in Start Run, follow the wizard but choose All Drivers. This will slow down your computer and cause more blue screen crashes but will pinpoint what is causing the crash (if the original error message didn't). Once you fix it you rerun verifier and turn it off.

If you can't start after enabling verifier
choose Last Known Good Configuration at the Failed Boot menu (which will
start without verifier).

You will be creating a crash dump file in c:\windows\minidump every blue screen. Make sure you are set to record minidumps (Small Memory Dumps) - type it in Help to see how.

Then

If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD (else see
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.m­spx
)

Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

Download
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

Load the crash dump file into windbg
and read what it says. You may need to tell it where the symbols are. Read it.
Type
!Analyze -v
into Windbg's command line.
(this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

If the above is too technical then email the crash dump files to david @ mvps.org. Don't send me lots of them. Just the one from your last crash after you turn verifier on. And only one per mail.

You can look up specific details here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._ea8b9fd0-2d81-4a04-a7ed-c1c6a80bd501.xml.asp

If it indicates faulty memory might be the cause you can get a memory tester
here
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/wi­ndiag.asp

If it mentions a core windows system file, meaning it a MS fix is required,
upload a minidump to

http://oca.microsoft.com

Also try typing the main error code in Help while online (ie,
Stop 0x50
and also try in the 8 digit form
stop 0x00000050)
and if there are too many hits use a filename if available. Generally memory
addresses are different for each computer (as each computer has a different
mix of drivers) so parameters that are memory addresses aren't that useful for searching, but NTStatus codes are (plus you can look them up here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/include/ddk/ntstatus.h?rev=1.2).

David Candy

No program can. Blue screens are driver errors (or kernel) that the driver didn't anticipate. Program errors give a nice little dialog.

Paul Schofield

I've tried what you said. I had to return to Last Known Good Configuration
to be able to boot up again, but for some reason there was no new crash dump
file for today.
I examined yesterdays and they kept making a reference to afd.sys, saying it
was trying to access a non-existent area of memory. I've searched my hard
drive for this file but can't find one.
To make things more confusing, Windows Update now loads in IE (which was
guaranteed to bring up the blue screen before), and ICQ5 does not work, just
gives the blue screen again.
I am fairly technical with computers, but this one has me confused.

Paul

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
[...]

I forgot to mention, I haven't added any new hardware or software to my
system recently, and also haven't been changing any settings.

Paul

David Candy

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\afd.sys

It has known (and fixed) issues on Win 2000 (aka NT5) and NT4 (XP is 5.1).

Google has 250 pages of people whinging about this error.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=afd.sys+0x0000008E&btnG=Search&meta=

But using the NT Status code knocks it down to 121
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=afd.sys+0x0000008E+0xc0000005&btnG=Search&meta=

I'll let you read them.

Here are the KB for earlier versions. There's not much here of use
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q174/4/65.ASP

It may not be this file. Read the google pages and post back if there is nothing there.
Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/10/entering_the_ga.html#more