Blue screen on Toshiba Laptop P20

Marc Desjardins

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop Satellite P20 (PSP26C-0JQRT7), it's running
Windows XP Media Center. Even since my last windows update, it became
awfully slow and it started giving me blue screen errors at boot time
once in a while. I would say that about 1 in 2 times, it wouldn't boot.
Then I would try "last known good configuration" or just start normally
and after a few tries, it would work.

But since the last windows updates this morning (july 13th), I cannot
boot without getting a blue screen error. The best I can do is boot in
safe mode about once very two tries.

I was getting many different errors in the blue screen, sometimes it's
0x0000008E, sometimes it's 0x000000D1 or 0x00000024. Today, it seems to
alternate between those but it also added a new one, 0x0000007E,
complaining about ACPI.SYS. Some of the previous ones, not sure which,
complained about NTFS.SYS.

So a couple days ago, I suspected the drive might be at fault, so I ran
chkdsk, it didnt't give any errors. I ran a RAM check: memtest86
(http://www.memtest86.com/), didn't give any errors. I guess that leaves
maybe the display driver for the nvidia built-in graphic card. But I
don't know.

So now I'm doing backups while in safe mode, but I would like to avoir
having to re-install, but can I be sure it's an hardware problem and not
a software problem?

If you need more info on the blue screen errors, I'm pretty sure I can
get those for you.

I did some searches on google and on the toshiba websites, but I couldn't
find any help so I'm asking here.

Any help, tips or avices will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Marc Desjardins

Subject: Re: Blue screen on Toshiba Laptop P20
From: "Michael T" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

I would begin by reading these Microsoft Help and Support articles.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316208&sd=RMVP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP

Thanks for the quick answer, but the first one talks about a RAID device,
which I don't have and the second one applies to Windows 2000. It suggests
drive problems, but I did run chkdsk and everything seems fine.

Michael T

Thanks for the quick answer, but the first one talks about a RAID device,
which I don't have and the second one applies to Windows 2000. It suggests
drive problems, but I did run chkdsk and everything seems fine.

Sorry about that.

How about scanning fo viruses?
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903251#appliesto

And/or running System File Checker.

After inserting your Windows XP CD-ROM go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
click OK

Marc Desjardins

I'm using AntiVir, I've run a full system scan, no virus detected. I also
ran the lastest version of ad-aware and Spybot search and destroy.

And/or running System File Checker.

After inserting your Windows XP CD-ROM go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
click OK

Unfortunatly, I don't have a Windows XP CD, all I have is the toshiba
recovery CD which will just re-initialize my system to the state it was in
when I bought it, with windows already installed.

Can I run this sfc command without the original CD?

Thanks for your help...

Michael T

Marc Desjardins said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows XP CD, all I have is the Toshiba
recovery CD which will just re-initialize my system to the state it was in
when I bought it, with windows already installed.

Can I run this SFC command without the original CD?

Thanks for your help...

My guess is you cannot use the Toshiba Recovery CD. Since I do not have a
recovery CD I do not know what would happed if you used it. You might give
it a try just to see what happens.

Alternatively you could try the instructions at
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Scroll down to "Step 2". There is a caveat that your folder "c:\i386" must
be intact (nd not corrupted.)

If all else fails, you may want to consider a 'recovery' with the
aforementioned Toshiba Recovery CD.