Blue Screen of Death Stop Error

RaeLynn

After installing Creative Sound Blaster Live and its
drivers into my computer running wk2. I rebooted and
received the blue screen with the following message.

STOP: C0000218 {Registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive file:
\Systemroot\System32\config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable

Begining dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact you system admin or tech support group.

I never made a back-up of my data. I have a few files
that I really need. I do have a W2K emergency repair dist
and W2K Emergency start up disk and 3 rescue disks I made
when I installed AVG anti-virus.
Is there anyway I can retrieve the data I need? I do not
mind having to re-format my drive and do a clean install
of W2K, but I would like to be able to save some of my
files before hand.

Jaysen Buffington[MSFT]

Hi RaeLynn,

From the error message, it appears that your Software registry hive has
become corrupted. To recover from this, you will need to replace your
existing Software registry hive with an alternate copy.

1) Boot to the Windows 2000 Recovery Console.
229716 Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229716
2) Navigate to the \Winnt\System32\config directory and rename the
software file to software.old.
3) Navigate to the \Winnt\repair (or \Winnt\repair\regback if available)
and copy the software file to \Winnt\System32\config directory.
4) Exit the recovery console and reboot the system.

Here is an alternative method.
Use the ChkReg.exe utility to repair the corruption in the original
software file. ChkReg.exe can be downloaded from the following link.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56D3C201-2C68-4DE8-
9229-CA494362419C&displaylang=en

--
Jaysen Buffington MCSE
Support Professional

originated.
From: "RaeLynn" <[email protected]>
Sender: "RaeLynn" <[email protected]>
Subject: Blue Screen of Death Stop Error
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:12:57 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

[...]

Hi Jaysen,

I am able to get into the system. I just cant seem to
locate any of my pictures. I was able to do a dual boot
with W2K on drive E (but I cant get into E directly due to
not me knowing or having the correct password) Anyway,
while in drive c (corrupt drive) I was able to copy over
some files and music to drive E, but all of my photos are
labled as unknown file types. My plan was to move the
stuff I wanted from drive c to drive e, then wipe out and
reformat drive c and reinstall w2k clean and move my stuff
from e back to c. What do you think? Jaysen, thanks so
much for all your help it is greatly appreciated xoxo.
RaeLynn
become corrupted. To recover from this, you will need to replace your
existing Software registry hive with an alternate copy.

1) Boot to the Windows 2000 Recovery Console.
229716 Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=229716
2) Navigate to the \Winnt\System32\config directory and rename the
software file to software.old.
3) Navigate to the \Winnt\repair (or
\Winnt\repair\regback if available)

This is in reference to the Stop Error: C0000218{Registry File Failure} received after installing Microsoft Updates. I see from some of the responses this error occurs after installing the .NET Framework or Creative Sound Blaster Live driver updates. Are there other updates that cause this problem and would users leaving their machines on constantly and not rebooting on a daily basis cause the registry to overflow and become corrupt? If updates that require reboots after installation are downloaded but waiting to be installed, would this corrupt the registry? I see lots of fixes but not a complete explanation of why the registry gets corrupted to begin with. Could someone offer an explanation of the cause of this problem?

Howard Mankin

I just got it after installing Norton Anti-Virus Server
Edition 7.6. I installed some snap-ins and then the NAV
files and did not boot in between.

I am going to try the below fix that someone else wrote
about.

Boot into recovery console and do the following

cd system32\config
ren software software.old
systemroot
copy software c:\winnt\system32\config