Windows XP Blue screen at bootup

Reaction score
I have a laptop with XP home edition which I am now unable to get past a blue screen on it. I press the on button and it immediately takes me to the start up choices i.e. do i wish to start normally, start in Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with Command or last known best configuration.....on selection oif any of these choices or just leaving it takes me straight to the blue screen which reads the following:

" A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82FAD388, 0x0000102,0x00000000) "

is anyone able to advise how to go about fixing this problem ? as I am unable to get past this message to do any of the things it tells me to do...an impasse?

Laptop information:

Dell Inspiron 2200
Bios Version A05 (06/21/2005

Processor Type=Celeron M 1.4GHz Cache 1024KB
Memory Installed =512 MB
Memory speed= 333mhz DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive = 40GB

internet access ADSL wireless router (Linksys) ,
Antivirus = AVG Professional

many thanks
Rogtaps

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ouch!!

At best, you have a corrupted Ntfs.sys file, at worse, your hard drive is failing or has failed.

I suggest you try booting to your XP CD and using the "R" (recovery console) type ... CHKDSK/f/r ... also, try FIXBOOT C:

... let me know.

:user:

Reaction score
thanks muckshifter that worked, adjusted bootup to CD at setup and followed the instructions - did chkdsk and it fixed the problem .....keep the good work!

rogtaps

Ask a Question