Blocking certaing webpage urls??

Karl Burrows

You can modify the hosts file with the IP address of the sites you want to
view only. It is located under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, Etc. You open
it with notepad and go to the very bottom and add the sites you want. Now
if you only want them to go to Yahoo, they will not be able to browse many
pages that have external links.

How can I block pages on my PC so that a user can only navigate certain
pages? For example, if I only want my users to go to yahoo.com and
google.com, what can I do?
I have Zone Alarm Pro, but I don't know if it lets me do that.
I just want to control what pages a user can/cannot browse.

Thanks.

Lee Chapelle

VM said:
How can I block pages on my PC so that a user can only navigate certain
pages? For example, if I only want my users to go to yahoo.com and
google.com, what can I do?
I have Zone Alarm Pro, but I don't know if it lets me do that.
I just want to control what pages a user can/cannot browse.

Thanks.

Internet Explorer => Tools => Internet Options => Content => Enable

Lee

VM

How can I block pages on my PC so that a user can only navigate certain
pages? For example, if I only want my users to go to yahoo.com and
google.com, what can I do?
I have Zone Alarm Pro, but I don't know if it lets me do that.
I just want to control what pages a user can/cannot browse.

Thanks.

Trev

Karl Burrows said:
You can modify the hosts file with the IP address of the sites you want to
view only. It is located under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, Etc. You
open
it with notepad and go to the very bottom and add the sites you want. Now
if you only want them to go to Yahoo, they will not be able to browse many
pages that have external links.

How can I block pages on my PC so that a user can only navigate certain
pages? For example, if I only want my users to go to yahoo.com and
google.com, what can I do?
I have Zone Alarm Pro, but I don't know if it lets me do that.
I just want to control what pages a user can/cannot browse.

Thanks.
I think its tother way round, Host file block's URL's

Karl Burrows

That just puts them on an approved list. How do you block all other sites
except the ones he wants? I'm not being argumentative. I would like to
know another workaround than the one I posted.

Thanks!

VM said:
How can I block pages on my PC so that a user can only navigate certain
pages? For example, if I only want my users to go to yahoo.com and
google.com, what can I do?
I have Zone Alarm Pro, but I don't know if it lets me do that.
I just want to control what pages a user can/cannot browse.

Thanks.

Internet Explorer => Tools => Internet Options => Content => Enable

Lee

MsOsWin

That just puts them on an approved list. How do you block all other
sites except the ones he wants? I'm not being argumentative. I would
like to know another workaround than the one I posted.

could try wildcards in restricted zone? (wouldn't actually block the sites, but apply teh
zon'es settings)

or, could use a wildcard of everything in proxomitron, then put the few yahoo domains in
the Bypass file?

Karl Burrows

I guess I should clarify. You must set a static IP address with the default
gateway and no DNS, so the local hosts file will only direct traffic to the
given sites. I have done this several times for public access computers in
sales sites where limited access is important.

Karl Burrows said:
That just puts them on an approved list. How do you block all other sites
except the ones he wants? I'm not being argumentative. I would like to
know another workaround than the one I posted.

This is problematic. He wants them to use Google, which means that by
definition he wants them to see results of Searches as well. I think Content
Advisor and/or a free app like "Block Website Buddy" is a reasonable
solution.

Lee

Karl Burrows

I agree and using Google doesn't really block anything, so the key work
filter makes sense for the way he wants to use it. My scenario is for
something like a sales center computer where you only want it to access
anti-virus, Windows updates and the Website for the company.