blank lines after Outlook 2003 signature

Chris

I have a scripted signature in Outlook 2003.

The signature displays correctly under 'edit signature' in Outlook 2003 with
only blank line beneath it. However if this signature is set as default for
new messages and replies and forwards, when a new message is composed, there
are 2 paragraphs (<br>) added after the signature. This is causing problems
with the formatting of the disclaimer annotation added to all
externally-bound emails.

If the default signature is set to <none> and the same signature is added
to the message with the insert menu there is only one <br> added.

Is there any way to remove the additional <br> added by Outlook? Could this
be done through the default mail template if there is such a thing?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Chris

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

The symbol <br> is used to inserts a line break in HTML. Let's perform the
steps below in Outlook to see if it works.

1. In Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu > Options.
2. In the Mail Format tab, click Signature.
3. Choose the specific signature. Click Edit.
4. Move the insert point to the end of the line. Press Delete to delete the
line break or the blank line. If you still need the blank line or the line
break, press Shift+Enter.
If there are several lines in the signature, repeat step 4.

If it doesn't work please take a screen shot of your Outlook signature. And
send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further research.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Subject: blank lines after Outlook 2003 signature
| Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:49:15 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| I have a scripted signature in Outlook 2003.
|
| The signature displays correctly under 'edit signature' in Outlook 2003
with
| only blank line beneath it. However if this signature is set as default
for
| new messages and replies and forwards, when a new message is composed,
there
| are 2 paragraphs (<br>) added after the signature. This is causing
problems
| with the formatting of the disclaimer annotation added to all
| externally-bound emails.
|
| If the default signature is set to <none> and the same signature is added
| to the message with the insert menu there is only one <br> added.
|
| Is there any way to remove the additional <br> added by Outlook? Could
this
| be done through the default mail template if there is such a thing?
|
| Many thanks in advance for your help.
|
| Regards,
|
| Chris

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and the screen shot.

Based on my research and testing, it is related to the mail format HTML.
When we compose the emails in HTML format, there is extra line in the end
of the signature. It is by design.

When we compose emails in Plain Text format, such an issue doesn't occur.
However, I don't think that it addresses your concern. : Following is the
key steps.
-------------------
1. In Outlook, click the Tools menu > Options > in the Mail Format tab,
choose Plaint Text in the field of "Compose in this message format".
2. Click Signature to edit the signature. Make sure that there is nothing
on the end of the signature. Click OK, OK.
3. Create a new email message. The message is in Plain Text and there is
not extra line on the end of the signature.

If you would like to use the HTML format, let's using Shift+Enter to remove
one of the spaces. (with one blank line on the end of the signature).
Thanks for your understanding.

I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet your
needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation to
the proper department for their consideration.

In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted by
our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and
increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
ws=search

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Happy weekend!

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Emily Lin [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 03:22:11 GMT
| Subject: RE: blank lines after Outlook 2003 signature
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Hi Chris,
|
| The symbol <br> is used to inserts a line break in HTML. Let's perform
the
| steps below in Outlook to see if it works.
|
| 1. In Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu > Options.
| 2. In the Mail Format tab, click Signature.
| 3. Choose the specific signature. Click Edit.
| 4. Move the insert point to the end of the line. Press Delete to delete
the
| line break or the blank line. If you still need the blank line or the
line
| break, press Shift+Enter.
| If there are several lines in the signature, repeat step 4.
|
| If it doesn't work please take a screen shot of your Outlook signature.
And
| send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further research.
|
| If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| hesitate to contact me.
|
| Regards,
|
| Emily Lin
|
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: blank lines after Outlook 2003 signature
| | Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:49:15 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| |
| | I have a scripted signature in Outlook 2003.
| |
| | The signature displays correctly under 'edit signature' in Outlook 2003
| with
| | only blank line beneath it. However if this signature is set as default
| for
| | new messages and replies and forwards, when a new message is composed,
| there
| | are 2 paragraphs (<br>) added after the signature. This is causing
| problems
| | with the formatting of the disclaimer annotation added to all
| | externally-bound emails.
| |
| | If the default signature is set to <none> and the same signature is
added
| | to the message with the insert menu there is only one <br> added.
| |
| | Is there any way to remove the additional <br> added by Outlook? Could
| this
| | be done through the default mail template if there is such a thing?
| |
| | Many thanks in advance for your help.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Chris
| |
| |
| |

Emily,

Thank you for your comprehensive help on this. You have confirmed my
suspicion that it was by design.

I have submitted feedback as you sugested.

Thanks once again.

Chris.
--
----------------

Emily Lin said:
> [...]

rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: blank lines after Outlook 2003 signature
| | Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:49:15 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| |
| | I have a scripted signature in Outlook 2003.
| |
| | The signature displays correctly under 'edit signature' in Outlook 2003
| with
| | only blank line beneath it. However if this signature is set as default
| for
| | new messages and replies and forwards, when a new message is composed,
| there
| | are 2 paragraphs (<br>) added after the signature. This is causing
| problems
| | with the formatting of the disclaimer annotation added to all
| |
| | If the default signature is set to <none> and the same signature is
added
| | to the message with the insert menu there is only one <br> added.
| |
| | Is there any way to remove the additional <br> added by Outlook? Could
| this
| | be done through the default mail template if there is such a thing?
| |
| | Many thanks in advance for your help.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Chris
| |
| |
| |

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Appreciate your feedback. If you have any other questions or concerns,
please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of
assistance.

Happy weekend!

Best regards,

> [...]

| > In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product
| > the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted
by
| > our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products
and
| > increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
| > ws=search
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| >
| > Happy weekend!
| >
| > Emily Lin,
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > ======================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| > |
| > | Hi Chris,
| > |
| > | The symbol <br> is used to inserts a line break in HTML. Let's
perform
| > the
| > | steps below in Outlook to see if it works.
| > |
| > | 1. In Outlook 2003, click the Tools menu > Options.
| > | 2. In the Mail Format tab, click Signature.
| > | 3. Choose the specific signature. Click Edit.
| > | 4. Move the insert point to the end of the line. Press Delete to
delete
| > the
| > | line break or the blank line. If you still need the blank line or the
| > line
| > | break, press Shift+Enter.
| > | If there are several lines in the signature, repeat step 4.
| > |
| > | If it doesn't work please take a screen shot of your Outlook
signature.
| > And
| > | send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further research.
| > |
| > | If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please
don't
| > | hesitate to contact me.
| > |
| > | Regards,
| > |
| > | Emily Lin
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------