Bioshock 2 install problems !!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have just spent 4 hours trying to get this rubbish to install. Tried every tip I have come across. Re-installed half a dozen times, joined Windows Live, etc etc etc .The 2K support site is filled with folk having problems that can not be solved and the tech support is rubbish.The game seems to install but never asks for a registration code and no matter what I do the game seems to start and then black screens. This is rubbish.
Windows 7
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 2.9Ghz
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Asus ENGTX 460 TOP
Geil Black Dragon 4 GB PC6400
Samsung F3 500 GB RAID 0
PSU AX850 Corsair
Action start 16:18:22: INSTALL.
Action start 16:18:22: FindRelatedProducts.
Action ended 16:18:22: FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 16:18:22: LaunchConditions.
Action ended 16:18:22: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.
Action start 16:18:22: HaltInstallationWithSuccess.
CustomAction HaltInstallationWithSuccess returned actual error code 259 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 16:18:22: HaltInstallationWithSuccess. Return value 5.
Action ended 16:18:22: INSTALL. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (A4:3C) [16:18:22:520]: Product: Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE -- Installation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (A4:3C) [16:18:22:520]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE. Product Version: 3.1.186.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
Tech Paul
Tech Support

Join DateFeb 2010Posts668

Important: This can be done before you start the setup / installer of 'BioShock 2' or after the game has been installed already.

1. Download the Manual Release Date Check tool here: http://download.securom.com/support/...ivatorTool.zip

2. Unpack the zip archive and launch the OfflineActivatorTool.exe

3. The welcome screen asks you to save the ActivationRequest.dfa file on your hard disc (for example, to your Desktop)

4. Open your browser to the website http://www.digitalworksweb.com/secur...ck2_unlock_rc/

5. Enter the path to the ActivationRequest.dfa file and the security code in the website and press the "Submit Query" button

6. Download the ActivationResponse.lic file to your hard disc (for example, to your Desktop)

7. Return to the activation dialog browse to the ActivationResponse.lic file you've stored in the step above and press the "Activate" button

8. You will get a success message

9. You can now run the setup of 'BioShock 2' or if you have already installed it, start the game via the shortcut.​

Looks to me like Windows Live set up ok.

Followed Paul the Tech's suggestion to the letter and it seemed ok.

Followed the suggestions in the links.

Got any ideas folks. :blush:

2K SUCK

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is there a firewall blocking the game's access to Windows Live?

Latest Video Drivers?

That's about all I can think of. And I know you don't want to hear this but the game runs fine for me within Win 7, my spec is under my avatar/info.

And out of curiosity do you have a pair of 250Gb Samsungs in RAID 0 or a pair of 500Gb Samsungs?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, does anything show up in Event viewer and does the game exit or just hang?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Also, does anything show up in Event viewer and does the game exit or just hang?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is all that looks relevant in Event Viewer.

I get a tiny Bioshock graphics picture center screen. Then a full monitor window flashes up says "Bioshock 2 not responding". This is very quickly replaced with a black screen which fades out back to the desktop.

Flops 2 x 500 GB stroked down to 150 GB.
Firewall looks ok. Bioshock has same outward permissions as other games.

:blush:

Attachments

• 2011-09-04_000548.jpg
    2011-09-04_000548.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8,043
  • 2011-09-04_000707.jpg
    2011-09-04_000707.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 7,961
  • 2011-09-04_001304.jpg
    2011-09-04_001304.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8,016

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Ian I had found that link and had a look but it seemed no help :cry:
However as I had tried most of the fixes I took a look at the ones I had not tried and whoopee one worked :thumb:
I always run me pc with 32 bit gfx but I had a look and lo and behold some update perhaps had reset me gfx to 16 bit. Switched over to 32 bit and the game ran. Well it got the game started and loaded and I could see the Plaza but as soon as I stepped forward I got a white screen with audio:(Drat bugwash and billhooks.
Remembered that you could right click the icon in the Start Menu and choose Dx9. Did so and :dance:This is some eye candy game. I'll put it away for a month or so as I still have to deal with that Fountain chappy in the first episode and me pc needs a de-dust. Quite badly :lol:

I still recon 2K suck. Who would put Dx10 in a game and the not make the game stable enough to use it. An all the farting around to get the thing to run. An limited installs. Talented money grubbing mindless greedy gits is what they are. An that is me polite version of what I think of em. :cool:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Now you got that sorted can I ask you what this means?

2 x 500 GB stroked down to 150 GB

I don't understand that bit at all, as Mr Rotten once sang.

You mean you got 1Tb reduced to 150Gb? How what why? Me no understand :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's a link that might help ya http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/short-stroking-hdd,2157.html

Abarb did post about disk stroking before I am sure :D

Thanks for the link, I understand now. Interesting.

I do recall Abarb mentioning this short stroking thingie and publishing benchmark graphs but I took a brief look and wasn't really interested. Must confess I don't read absolutely everything all the way through here, I do check everything for spam or offensiveness but if something doesn't hold my attention I move on. Just the way I am :)

The article the link goes to is 2.5 years old when SSD drives were in their infancy and cost a small mortgage. The situation has changed and the availability, price, performance and to a degree the reliability (now many SSD's have been in use for three years or so we're getting an idea of at least short term reliability), are much better than they were 30 months ago.

Mechanical hard drives are cheap and if the added performance short stroking gives is beneficial then I guess it's worth it. But my gut instinct is to balk at sacrificing all that lovely space when you could now get a faster SSD drive for not a lot more cash.

One good thing about that article, I didn't realise Hitachi made enterprise drives that worked at 15000rpm, going to have to check those out, a pair of 300Gb enterprise drives working in a RAID 0 seems an interesting proposition, depending on the price, of course.

Ask a Question