Which Microsoft Games For Windows Live games will survive after July 1st?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Zema posted this elsewhere, I thought it worth repeating here:

"Microsoft announced last year that Games for Windows would shut down its marketplace features on August 22, 2013, signaling the beginning of the end for the service. Never quite achieving its desired critical mass, GFWL handled DRM, achievements, and multiplayer for a long list of games.

A since-deleted support article for Age of Empires Online stated that the GFWL service would be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although Microsoft has not yet made an official announcement on the matter, a number of developers took this to mean that their games would effectively become unplayable in July and began work to divorce them from GFWLs, often switching over to Steamworks.

However, a large number of developers remained quiet about plans, so Joystiq reached out to get the official word on what the future may hold for their games past July.

Green = GFWL has been removed.
Blue = GFWL will be removed.
Red = No plans.
Purple = We've reached out but are still awaiting response."

See the current list here. All of Microsoft's games currently listed on the site are in red, for "no plans". And EA is saying nothing about Bulletstorm.

I have:

Bioshock 2 (Ok)
Fallout 3 (Ok)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans - in Steam)
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition (They say GFWL will be removed and it's in Steam)
DIRT 2 (No plans - in Steam)
DIRT 3 (They say GFWL will be removed - in Steam)
F1 2010 (They say GFWL will be removed - in Steam)
Bulletstorm (No response)
Fable III (No plans - in Steam)
Flight X (No plans)
Halo 2 (No plans)
Grand Theft Auto IV (No response)
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (Ok)
Batman: Arkham City GOTY (Ok)

If MS follow through with this they are going to seriously rub a lot of people up the wrong way. A great deal of people playing those games probabluy have no idea the rug's about to be pulled from under their feet.

I've played Bulletstorm through twice, it's quite good but I won't miss it.

I'm crap at F1 2010 so won't miss that.

I don't have Grand Theft Auto IV installed anymore

I haven't hardly played Fable III but I played Fable II all the way through on Xbox 360 and enjoyed it a lot, I hope I don't lose that.

I haven't played Halo 2 for years but have been thinking about revisiting, twas a good game, imo

And I'm rubbish at all flight sims, including MS Flight X, so no real loss there for me.

Ask a Question