Bios beep of death

Reaction score
hi there, an annoying headache;

Every now and then when my PC starts up or restarts, the bios beeps indicating an error(more specifically a memory error, "beep-pause-beep-pause...and on and on"). I have to
switch the pc off, wait, and then back on before a successful boot occurs.

After a successful boot up the pc is fine, no unexplained crashes or glitches, no random
restarts, so I assume in theory that my hardware is ok if you see what I mean.

Now, I quickly ruled out my graphics card and other connected devices as I stripped the pc
down to just motherboard, cpu and ram - the problem still remaining!

The steps I've taken;

1) Replaced the original 300 Watt PSU with a 400 Watt dual fan PSU. (problem unresolved)

2) Replaced DIMM with another "brand". (problem unresolved, now using both Dimms)

There are other random events I've observed that might or might not be related;

1) On startup bios only recognises one of the installed DIMMs, memory check only displays
256mb instead of 512mb, no memory errors displayed.(Bios memory setting to SPD I think).

2) On startup bios recognises all 512MB but at 100MHZ not 166MHZ (Bios memory setting maybe on Auto).

3) When Nvidia system utilities queries the two installed DIMMs an error is often displayed, along the lines of; "DIMM SPD parser error". And when the PC is restarted after this error the bios beeps again.

4) Occasionally the pc starts (fans spin, led lights on, HD spins etc) but nothing happens; no beeps, no signal to the monitor (it remains in standby), no startup. Pressing the reset button cures this problem 99% of the time.

5) The chances of the problem occuring increases after the PC reboots when any changes are saved from the BIOS screen.

I know the CPU queries the Memory for its bus speed at startup so can only assume it has
something to do with that. The Bios settings are all more or less default, there has been
no overclocking of any kind performed on the machine, so the hardware isn't being "pushed" beyond its rated limit.

So What I suspect it to be is;

1) Bad dimms, BOTH of them.
or
2) A problem on the motherboard, relating to the dimm sockets.
or
3) A bios problem.

Do you have a explanation why this is happening? please help, its driving me bonkers!

PC Specs;
XFX NF24ALH Motherboard (Nvidia NForce2 chipset,Award Bios v 6.00)
AMD Athlon 2600XP+ (Barton-FSB 333MHZ)
256MB PC 2700 DDR DIMM (PNY)
256MB PC 2700 DDR DIMM (OEM)

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 AGP
CD ROM
Floppy
Fans etc

(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd suggest downloading Memtest86 from Here and then testing both memory sticks, one at a time.

That will prove/disprove Memory being good/bad.

You can d/l an ISO from the Memtest site and create a bootable CD to run the program, that's what I use. The test will run indefinitely, until you exit, but it will show up any deficiencies in your RAM fairly quickly.

If they check out OK, go to your Motherboard manufacturer's site and check for latest Bios. Then upgrade the Bios, there should be full instructions at the site on how to do it.

Reset all Bios options, then take it from there. Also check for latest Nvidia chipset drivers for Motherboard and upgrade those.

If all that fails, I'd seriously suspect a Motherboard fault.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Ask a Question