missing GPU and "overclocking failed" after that

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here, but I'm not a novice.
My problem is as follows:
after longer period of inactivity PC could not find GPU (bios sounds 1 long 3 short beeps).
if I restarting problem repeats. than I remove GPU, clean up contacts with eraser, and then PC starts fine, allmost - bios informs me that the "overckloking failed". When win boots up evething works fine, accept that the performance not adequat to PC parameters (maybe it's just my impretion)
One more thing - my PC works not in case, it's just standing on the table with all connected cables :)

CPU Type Intel[R] core[TM]2, 1866 MHz (3.5 x 533)
Motherboard Name P5B-E ASUS
Motherboard Chipset P965+ICH8R
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type AMI (02/07/07)
Display Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB)
Storage Disk Drive ST3250620AS Optical Drive ASUS DRW-1814BLT
Input Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
COuld be a lot of things mate,

From looking at the CPU setup you have, it seems you are into overclocking, 3.5 on the multiplier, thats a bit low.

Have you killed the graphics card???

If it won't work in the case then there could be a short somewhere.

If it says Overclocking failed, then whatever program you use, Riva Tuner, Ntune is still set enable the overclocking profile you have made at start up.

Go into the BIOS and set default settings, then go into whatever overclocking program you use and set the clocks on the graphics to default as well.

Just a few things to try.

Oh and just out of interest what model Core 2 Duo have you got as 3.5 x 533 is massive.

Reaction score
thanks for fast replay,
at first I'm not overclocking anything, bios is set to default from the beginning.
from my experience I could say that the 8600 geforce is problematic, many of them was defected. so it is very simple to kill :)
and my procesor is: Intel[R] core[TM]2, 6300 1866 MHz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
OK,

Check all the connections on your HDD, then go into the BIOS and enable optimised settings.

Can you swop out the PSU for another one, just to see if its overvolting or not?

Reaction score
Thanks for replay,
I'll try swap PSU, becourse it's a new one for me, and can be defected. but I can't do it at this moment.
I'll post results later in a few days. I will check voltages at work.

Reaction score
well, problem wasn't repeated after last post, so i did nothing, just waiting will it continue or not. i suspect, that it just bad contact of video adapter in PCIE slot.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Kapisonas said:
CPU Type Intel[R] core[TM]2, 1866 MHz (3.5 x 533)
That is not the default bios CPU setting for that CPU....it is using a very low multiplier with a very high FSB of 533 which is way to high for that board, so I'm not suprised you got the failed message.

Something had gone wrong with your default bios settings for the CPU, if you are sticking with having the CPU at stock, then the bios setting should be 7 x 266........go back into the bios and make sure its set to that.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Ady,

I think i did mention that the Multiplier was low, and the FSB a bit big.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yes you did, and I should have acknowledged that - sorry mate :blush:

I thought I would re-iterate it again, as that 533 FSB is way too high for just about any mobo to cope with stably that I can think off....and think what its doing to the RAM if its linked.

Reaction score
strange, but it is default settings. I'll try to configure bios manually. i'm not sure that i know how to do that, but i'll try :)
anyway thank you for adwise, i'll post the results later

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
HI,

I've had a few ASUS boards and am on my second P5, the BIOS should be the same, look in advanced, then either CPU Configuration or Jumper free configuration, you can set the Multiplier and FSB in there, unlink it from the memory as well, just in case.

Reaction score
well, i did upgrade of bios, and now i know, that the information about stepping previosly was incorekt. it's just wasn't shown in bios, and AIDA show stepping of CPU as 5x533 but real stepping was as suspected 7x266. so it is just as have to be.
today, before the bios upgrade, again was dissapeared GPU. and it came back after cleaning. i dont think, that an upgrade of bios will resolve this problem, and i wander what could cause this dissapearing of GPU.
could it be just because the video adapter isn't screwed in the computer case?

Reaction score
after bios upgrade "overcloking failed" messages stopped, but GPU still dissapearing. i don't think that being unscrewed could cause this if graphic adapter is in good condition. but how to explain this to guarantie service? :)

Ask a Question