Bethesda Games and Asus pci-e sound card

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff Flops :D It's been a long time getting that sound card working properly, so I'm pleased it's doing the job now!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well it crashed again today :(

Also Oblivion still crashed and Call Of Juarez won't run (it did with the Creative card).

So I've come to a decision. As brilliant as the Asus Xonar DX2 Sound card sounds, to me it's worthless if it won't work with all PC Games.

Asus have had long enough to sort it out and they have failed or can't be bothered.

But it still strikes me as odd Fallout 3 worked with the Asus Sound Card with Win 7 :confused:

I must confess I haven't really made a definite decision as to what's causing the fault.

And I'm still not really sure what path to take.

One thing is for definite though, Fallout 3 is such a great game I've moved all my Save Games over to my secondary AMD machine and I'm carrying on playing Fallout 3 in my bedroom, really like this game.

I have now uninstalled Oblivion; Fallout 3; Call Of Juarez from the problematic machine. But I have finished Oblivion, apart from most of the side quests, so not too bothered about that.

I don't know whether to wait three months or so and see if Win 7 will play Fallout 3 with the Asus Sound card on my Intel Machine or just cut my losses, wack the Asus Sound Card into my Media machine (plain old Hi Fi Stereo) and buy a Creative or Auzentech card.

I'm leaning towards the Auzentech as it uses a Creative chipset and so should not be problematic.

Or I could just buy a Creative Gamer or Music. What's best? Or for that matter which Creative card is best, there's quite a few of them now.

Very disappointing but that's computers for you, all you console guys are hereby allowed to act smug for ten minutes, lol

One last thing, the FUEL demo also crashed today, it hadn't done that before.

And by way of mentioning FUEL looks like being a fabulous arcade game too, judging by the demo, but a gamepad is the preferred controller.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A few observations with the system in my sig, which is the one I've been discussing here mostly.

Bought 2 games in GAME high st store for £25.00 'A Vampyre Story' (Don't laugh it's quite good fun when you want to chill) and 'Mirror's Edge'.

Mirror's Edge, imo, is complete pants, utter waste of £12.50 :mad: It's best with a gamepad and it wouldn't work with my Logi Cordless, the publishers recommended an X-Box 360 PC Controller so I plugged mine in. Well it worked but the control system was utter crap and totally useless, not to put too fine a point on it ;)

I don't suppose GAME will take it back on account of it's a bit crap so it looks like it's more boot sale fodder :(

It was a toss up between Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect, actually, guess who made a wrong choice then?

As I had the X-Box 360 controller connected I thought I'd try GTAIV with it.

Fired it up, my screen went blank and after about 8 minutes my computer rebooted. My guess is that it auto-updated but I'm not sure.

It did fire up ok though and I played a bit. I figure I prefer the mouse/keyboard to the gamepad, even for driving but only in GTAIV of course.

And lastly the oddest thing. Thought I'd play a bit of FEAR 2 and that also gave me a blank screen for about five minutes then froze. I rebooted and when I started FEAR 2 again I had lost all my save games :confused:

I hadn't progressed that far into the game so no biggies but all these strange incidents have me wondering.

The longest I ever had an install of XP was 10 months, Win 98 probably about 3 months, lol

I have had one install of Vista which is now almost 20 months old. Coincidence?

Anyhow, I've decided, for now, no fresh install of Vista, I'll wait for Win 7 unless Vista really starts throwing hissy fits.

And that, ladeez and germs, is it for this evening.

Reaction score
Hey Flopps,
I shop in Game(Dublin) and as far as i know there's a 10 day no quibble swap thingy goin on. If you're not happy bring it back.
One of my colleagues bought that mirror's edge about 6 months months ago thinking it was going to be great and he said it was pure s***e.
Also, i have mass effect. It's a little dated at this stage but its good. I loaded it up and played the first level then went back to WaW.
Gone photography mad lately :confused:.

What size is the forum's set size for pics?? I'll have a nose about in the guidelines.

Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I know Mass Effect is old, I do that a lot, wait til they're cheap then buy them :)

There aren't that many games I have to have yesterday ;)

I'll try taking Mirror's Edge back and swapping it for Mass Effect but I don't have high hopes...Current favoured games:

Fallout 3
FEAR 2
Dark Messiah Mage & Magic
Flatout

and of course

CoD WaW online :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A good size for forum pix is 800 pixels wide.

Anything over 1000 pixels wide is verging on ass-kicking status for messing up everybody's forum view ;)

Ask a Question