Best printer for photos? ? ?

Ray

I'm unclear whether there's a difference between a standard inkjet color
printer which will produce photos and a special printer for photos.

I need an inexpensive printer that will give me prints of about the same
quality I get at the kiosks in drugstores, etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hari Seldon

Ray said:
I'm unclear whether there's a difference between a standard inkjet color
printer which will produce photos and a special printer for photos.

I need an inexpensive printer that will give me prints of about the same
quality I get at the kiosks in drugstores, etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

Go for a HiTi printe, or another Dye Sublimation Brand

These pictures will stay ok for several years and are exactly the things you
get at kiosks.

It's a little more expensive than regular inkjet, but you could scan eBay
for some 2nd hand.

period

measekite

Ray said:
I'm unclear whether there's a difference between a standard inkjet
color printer which will produce photos and a special printer for photos.

A standard printer aka standard format printer refers to a page size
that is 8.5" wide. The larger format printers can go 13x19 or even 17"
wide or larger.
I need an inexpensive printer that will give me prints of about the
same quality I get at the kiosks in drugstores, etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

The Canon IP4500 with Canon exclusive CLI8 ink (comes with it) will
produce better than a drugstore print and it will also last longer
without fading. Plus you have the advantage of editing it the way you
want and choosing many different kinds of paper. Mostly you can choose
from gloss, semi-gloss, lustre or matte. Matte is great for portraits
but I also like it for landscapes as well. Sometimes glossy looks more
alive but it depends on taste and subject matter.

measekite

Hari Seldon wrote:

"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:a6Fmk.391$_H1.165@trnddc05...

I'm unclear whether there's a difference between a standard inkjet color printer which will produce photos and a special printer for photos. I need an inexpensive printer that will give me prints of about the same quality I get at the kiosks in drugstores, etc. Any suggestions welcome.

Go for a HiTi printe, or another Dye Sublimation Brand These pictures will stay ok for several years and are exactly the things you get at kiosks. It's a little more expensive than regular inkjet, but you could scan eBay for some 2nd hand. period

Bad choose.  Costs a fortune and these printers have no flexibility.

measekite

Benwa said:
I would NOT suggest a dye sub ! Inkjet printers that use pigment inks will
give sharper,longer lasting and sometimes cheaper prints. Look at the new
Kodak printers.They are about the best bang for the buck.

The Canon standard format printer (IP4500) produce the best photos and
the cost can be had on sale for under $100.

Hari Seldon

Benwa said:
I would NOT suggest a dye sub ! Inkjet printers that use pigment inks will
give sharper,longer lasting and sometimes cheaper prints. Look at the new
Kodak printers.They are about the best bang for the buck.Color cart.are
$14.95 and black $9.95. I own 3 dye sub printers.A Hi Touch ,a Sony and a
Mitubishi.I also own an Epson 7880 large format inkjet and an Epson
R800.Either of the Epsons produce better prints tha the dye subs.

Longer Lasting?

I am not sure about the latest Inkjets (as the o.p. asked for the cheapest).
But for the last years, in the long run the prints of the Dye Sublimation
Printers stayed much longer imho

PhotoSci

Kodak is the cheapest printer using pigment inks.That and Kodak is selling
their ink for half the price that HP,Epson or Canon does.>

The Kodak printers have received the highest print permanence rating
of any consumer printer from Wilhelm Imaging Research as well as
excellent print permanence ratings from the imaging research labs at
the Rochester Institute of Technology (in a study commissioned by PC
World Magazine). They not only use highly permanent pigmented inks,
but also apply an overcoat "ink" to reduce gloss and protect the
image.

Nicolaas Hawkins

The Kodak printers have received the highest print permanence rating
of any consumer printer from Wilhelm Imaging Research as well as
excellent print permanence ratings from the imaging research labs at
the Rochester Institute of Technology (in a study commissioned by PC
World Magazine). They not only use highly permanent pigmented inks,
but also apply an overcoat "ink" to reduce gloss and protect the
image.

That information will definitely not serve to best please the group's
resident FUDmonger.

0

007

On Aug 8, 12:46 pm, "Benwa" <.> wrote:

The Kodak printers have received the highest print permanence rating
of any consumer printer from Wilhelm Imaging Research as well as
excellent print permanence ratings from the imaging research labs at
the Rochester Institute of Technology (in a study commissioned by PC
World Magazine). They not only use highly permanent pigmented inks,
but also apply an overcoat "ink" to reduce gloss and protect the
image.

Could you post the low end model #?

measekite

007 said:
On Aug 8, 12:46 pm, "Benwa" <.> wrote:

The Kodak printers have received the highest print permanence rating
of any consumer printer from Wilhelm Imaging Research as well as
excellent print permanence ratings from the imaging research labs at
the Rochester Institute of Technology (in a study commissioned by PC
World Magazine). They not only use highly permanent pigmented inks,
but also apply an overcoat "ink" to reduce gloss and protect the
image.

Could you post the low end model #?

The home of Eastman Kodak is Rochester, N.Y.. It is also home to many
RIT graduates. You do the match. Currently Kodak does not make any
photo printers at all. They do make a few Multi Function Devices MFG
also known as All In Ones. Unless you absolutely have a space
requirement or need an Auto Sheet Feeder ADF (not sure if Kodak has one)
I would not get them. You do not get the opportunity to get the best
scanner (Epson) of the best standard format printer (Canon).

The best standard format printer (up to 8.5 wide) is the Canon IP4500 or
its successor when there is one. You get all of the fade resistance you
need and the best photo output.

fb

measekite said:
The home of Eastman Kodak is Rochester, N.Y.. It is also home to many
RIT graduates. You do the match. Currently Kodak does not make any
photo printers at all. They do make a few Multi Function Devices MFG
also known as All In Ones. Unless you absolutely have a space
requirement or need an Auto Sheet Feeder ADF (not sure if Kodak has one)
I would not get them. You do not get the opportunity to get the best
scanner (Epson) of the best standard format printer (Canon).

The best standard format printer (up to 8.5 wide) is the Canon IP4500 or
its successor when there is one. You get all of the fade resistance you
need and the best photo output.

Spamming liar!

Hendo

On Aug 8, 12:46 pm, "Benwa" <.> wrote:

The Kodak printers have received the highest print permanence rating
of any consumer printer from Wilhelm Imaging Research as well as
excellent print permanence ratings from the imaging research labs at
the Rochester Institute of Technology (in a study commissioned by PC
World Magazine). They not only use highly permanent pigmented inks,
but also apply an overcoat "ink" to reduce gloss and protect the
image.

Could you post the low end  model #?

Kodak as good as Canon on print quality, but if your looking for the
best photo quality stick with what the pro's use Epson.

measekite

Hendo wrote:

On Aug 12, 5:34&nbsp;pm, "007" &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:

Kodak as good as Canon on print quality,

Not by a long shot.&nbsp; Read the reviews in PC Mag and PC World.&nbsp; Canon IP4500 is editors choice all over.&nbsp; Not even a close contest between Canon and any other mfg.

but if your looking for the best photo quality stick with what the pro's use Epson.

While more pros use Epson it is because they were first with the best quality and have a reputation.&nbsp; That is not necessarily the case now.&nbsp; The Canon IPF5100/6100 has as good a photo quality as Epson.&nbsp; Canon is usually faster.&nbsp; Read the reviews at luminious landscape.&nbsp; For the consumer printers Canon is the best without a doubt.