Best free firewall to use

Osiris

Ok I downloaded the free Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 from the link but
noticed the rest of the list of free firewalls, what is the best free
firewall out there to use?

Using winxp sp1

Shaun B.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

"best" is hard to define: is very subjective.
How complicated can you handle ?
Try some...
I switched a few times...
Used Sygate a few years. is nice, but I think maybe they stopped
development ?

zonealarm is ok but I think the combination with some Norton stuff is
problematic. Not sure anymore.
Hear good thing about kerio...

Wouldn't it be nice to hav IPTables on WinXP... then you could REALLY
build your own and know what is going on on that UTP cable :)

Mike T.

GabrielSab said:
Ok I downloaded the free Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 from the link but
noticed the rest of the list of free firewalls, what is the best free
firewall out there to use?

Using winxp sp1

Shaun B.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

The easiest ones to use are Zonealarm and Sygate, but they each have
drawbacks:
1) Zonealarm is nagware (in the totally free version)
2) Sygate is still available, but no longer updated. Sygate is not Vista
compatible. If you don't CARE about Vista though, Sygate is the best of the
bunch.

John Doe

Mike T. said:
The easiest ones to use are Zonealarm and Sygate, but they each
have drawbacks:
1) Zonealarm is nagware (in the totally free version)

There isn't any nagware in the ZoneAlarm free version I'm using.

Mike T.

John Doe said:
There isn't any nagware in the ZoneAlarm free version I'm using.

There wasn't in the zonealarm I was using, either, for the first several
months. Then it started popping up ads for zonealarm shit so often that I
had to nuke the program and find an alternative. OK, maybe the right term
is adware. In any case, it annoyed the hell out of me, enough to switch to
sygate. -Dave

John Doe

There wasn't in the zonealarm I was using, either, for the first
several months. Then it started popping up ads for zonealarm shit
so often that I had to nuke the program and find an alternative.
OK, maybe the right term is adware.

Sorry, but I haven't encountered anything that resembles
nagware/adware or anything else like that in the free versions of
ZoneAlarm in the five years I've been using it.

From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Best free firewall to use
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:44:46 -0400

job

Same with Tiny Personal Firewall.Try it. It's free.No adware.

From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:44:46 -0400

John

Just a nag every 60 days or so, or whatever you set it to nag you.

LOL ... You didn't read the nag screen did you?

Good free stuff is hard to come by,
John

John Doe

John Doe said:
Sorry, but I haven't encountered anything that resembles
nagware/adware or anything else like that in the free versions of
ZoneAlarm in the five years I've been using it.

Unfortunately, they have removed the past lock feature, apparently
that is now somehow causing my DSL modem to lock up after about 30
minutes of inactivity. Microsoft's MSN messenger remains active and
is still able to communicate, but my browser and news reader which
were not active cannot connect until I restart the computer.