Best CPUs of all Time

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
[H]ardOCP have published an article which aims to chart the five best CPUs of all time, of course this isn't about current raw performance, it's about their impact on the market at the time:

What are you thoughts? Did you have any of the processors on this list?

All of the CPUs on this list are ones that were not only good overclockers, and somewhat of a value, but highly influential CPUs in their own right. These set the bar for how we judge value in overclocking and are shining examples of what performance, after a little tuning, looks like. Many of these CPUs were relevant far past the manufacturers' intended lifecycles and powered many gaming rigs and personal workstations for many years. CPUs like the Core i7-2600K and the Core i7-980X power many gaming rigs to this day. Equipped with modern graphics cards, these outstanding CPUs will continue to do so for some time to come. That said, the CPU market is heating up again and we may have a very different list if we revisit this topic in a year or so. Only time will tell.

Read the rest here:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/25/top_5_best_cpus_all_time

Reaction score
Over the year I owned all but the i7. The earlier chipsets were not bought new but passed down to me via other users as they upgraded, however it was a hugh learning curve for me through the years

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quite a nice selection to be passed on there @TriplexDread :).

From memory, I think my CPU journey went 8086 > 286 > P120 > P200MMX > Celeron 366 > Athlon (can't remember model) > Pentium IV > i5-3570k

The 8086/286 were very old by the time I had them in the 90s. I still have very fond memories of them, and I've tried to track down similar systems on e-bay so I can have another go :D. I'm sure I've missed a few CPUs in that trail, either as they weren't a main PC or I have just forgotten.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Honourable mention for the Q6600 and 920 D0, both great chip of the time, the 920 was a beast when overclocked. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Honourable mention for the Q6600 and 920 D0, both great chip of the time, the 920 was a beast when overclocked. :)

Ah now I remember, the CPU I had between the P4 and 3570K was the Q6600 :lol:. I've still got it somewhere!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They missed one ... Am486 DX-2 66 :D

I remember them all, even the notorious Cyrix.

:user:

Ask a Question