BCM Install runs continuously, never completes

Reaction score
I installed Office Pro 2007 without any problems. I put in CD 2 (BCM and Accounting Express) to install BCM and it stars normally, but runs continuously and never completes. I see a box titled "Microsoft Office Professional 2007 CD 2 Setup Wizard", and it says "Installation in progress".

Under that is "Setup is installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express (MSSMLBIZ)" and the progress bar. The bar keeps going across, then starts over. It ran for quite a while, so I let it run when I went to bed, and it is still running this morning. I searched the forums for the SQL Server 2005 and most require you to submit your log. However, the only thing here (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt) was this:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.3042.00
==============================
OS Version : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Time : Thu Oct 02 21:48:37 2008

I am not receving any errors. The progress bar just keeps going.

As a side note, this has happened twice. I used the Windows uninstall and removed anything related to the MS SQL Server 2005 and deleted the directory, then tried the install again. I had the same resutls both times.

Any ideas? I searched the forums and found a similar one in Feb 2008, but they at least had some errors in the log and it appeared to be slightly different.

Reaction score
Solution Found

I finally called Microsoft Technical support for this one. Apparently, the conflict was caused by one of the network services that was running during the installation of the SQL Server Express 2005 (required for BCM). After selectively disabling various services, the install ran just fine. I was not paying close enough attention to be able to say exactly which ones, but I do know it was one of the ones where the user name is "NETWORK SERVICE" when looking at them in the "Processes" tab after a C A D. Hope this helps if someone else ever has this issue. (Please heed the usual warnings about disabling services and killing your PC, etc. when killing the processes individually.)

BTW, the tech support rep did say he has seen this before with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express installs in general, not specifically related to BCM. He actually downloadd the more recent version of SQL Server 2005 from MS (free download) and installed that, then installed the BCM software.

Hope this helps...

Ask a Question