Batten down the hatches again

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ice stones the 'size of cricket balls' will cause devastation across the country in what forecasters fear could be the the worst hailstorms since a deadly 'supercell' led to hailstones leaving craters FIVE FEET deep across England 171 years ago.

The worst hailstorm recorded in British history struck on August 9 1843 when a supercell caused enormous hailstorms to fall from the skies, resulting in huge craters and widespread injuries across central and southern England.
The massive storm also spawned destructive tornadoes and caused so much damage that a brand new insurance company - The General Hail Insurance Company - was formed to cope with the sheer volume of claims. The company later became known as Norwich Union.

Well if history repeats itself then us oooooooooooop norf will be ok. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
WOW!! ... we all gonna die, run for the hills ...>

Don't cha just love news papers. :lol:

according to the Met Office London is in for a reasonably nice day on Friday, however, Saturday may see some, err, weather. :)

"Warm, humid air is likely to be pulled northwards from France late on Friday and during Saturday. Within this air mass, there is an increasing likelihood that heavy, thundery showers will break out. It is likely that many places within the current broad warning area will miss the worst of the storms; over the next few days it may be possible to focus on the areas most at risk."

So, it's going to be a bit 'tropical' for a couple of days ... maybe. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
PANIC!!
Oh i see TC has!:p
BBC forecast is for dry weather Friday & Rain for Saturday with light wins.
But that's for London, it may different in Wales though!:lol:

Reaction score
Rain due from the south coast up to Cumbria caused by cold & warm fronts meeting.
We will all get rain, but in some places it might be anything from heavy to very heavy rain!
Not the right weather for running the derby at Epsom!!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
He could be worse. We could be in Cape Town, apparently its snowing there.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Friday 6th June 2014

"After a chilly start, it will be a largely dry and fine day, with some long spells of sunshine, which may become hazy in places. It will also feel pleasantly warm, with a generally light southeasterly breeze."

1914/1915 (Winter):
This held the honour of being the WETTEST winter in the EWP series for a considerable time with 423mm for December, January and February. However, as of 2013/2014, when there were exceptional PRECIPITATION totals, 1914/15 is now the second-wettest winter in that record.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Tomorrow's weather prospect. Somewhat less of a doomsday scenario than the tabloid version of a few days ago. :)

A recipe for thunderstorms

_75309572_0406satairmass.jpg

After a drier end to the week there's the potential for many of us to see a stormy start to the weekend. The battle between warm air moving northwards from France and fresher air coming in from the Atlantic brings with it the risk of some heavy, thundery downpours.
To brew a thunderstorm you need the right ingredients to come together at the same time to mix the atmosphere up in just the right way. Initially we need some warm and humid air but we also need a source of moisture.
_75309570_0406pressure.jpg

On Saturday low pressure will be loitering in the Atlantic, swinging a weather front over the UK to give us the perfect breeding ground for thundery showers. Thunderstorms can bring lightning, thunder, hail, rain, gusty winds and the potential for localised flooding. However, storms such as these cannot form everywhere causing weather forecasters quite a headache when forecasting their position.
Nevertheless, this coming Saturday, much of England, Wales and Scotland will become a giant mixing bowl with all the necessary ingredients in the right place. For this reason the Met Office have issued an Yellow early warning for rain valid throughout Saturday, more details for your area can be found here.
The exact details are likely to change so remember to stay up to date with our forecasts over the next few days.
Thus speaketh the Beeb: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/27704150

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We were rudely awakened at 5:20 a.m., by a pretty intense storm. The lightning was continuous, it just kept flickering, with thunder rumbling non-stop. There was plenty of rain too.... very Hammer House of Horrors.

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, we here oop Norf, have a muggy start, a bit overcast ... it not stopped the builders next door arriving at 8am. :rolleyes:

I think we in for a spot of rain later. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Bit cloudy here in London, but otherwise nice. Have spoken to a friend down in Smmerset and they have hail, and another friend in Cape Town and they have snow.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Started dry.Now black sky and heavy rain. :D Do I give a stuff. Nope I'm too busy sniping germans. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here by the river we had a small but heavy hailstorm around 08:15 this morning but ever since then bright sunshine. Quite warm too, have just been to Sainsburys and back on choo choo train for to buy some groceries. Only wore a shirt. Er, from the waist up that is, down below I did sport other apparel, otherwise I'd be arrested.

Reaction score
Rained whilst shopping at 0830 today & then heavy thunder and rain mid morning.
Now bright and sunny in the area.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Then, suddenly, the sky turns bright blue and the sun blazes. :)

Typical British weather. :D

Ask a Question