basic question from a newbie

G

Hello,

I am running Win2k Pro as my peer server for my computer consulting business. I've been using remote desktop to connect to a client's computer to do off-site work for them. It really makes life easier for me, since the client is on the opposite side of the country.

I've been told that I can set up my own Win2k Pro machine as a terminal server so I can log in when on the road and check my email, send letters, etc. from my laptop.

I see lots of help on setting up a client and see articles and FAQs on TS licensing and CALs, but I don't see anyplace (including in the Win2k Pro documentation) where I can download and install the terminal server app itself.

My client told me (and perhaps incorrectly) that the Pro license allows a personal use connection to run terminal server on Win2k. If this is true, where do I download and/or license it? I can't find anyplace on the MS site for this - I only find the client portion for downloading. Any suggestions where I can start?

Or should I just buy one of the third party products like GoToMyPC or PCAnywhere or set up some other VPN connection. Please help me with a simple, easily deployable solution. Thank you in advance.

Joe Giaquinto

V

Vera Noest [MVP]

You cannot install or run Terminal Server on a W2K Pro client. You
will need pcAnywhere, VNC or NetMeeting. Upgrading your PC to XP
Pro can also be a solution.

Ask a Question