Backup

Happy

Attempting back up using Accessories>system tools>backup, and it wouldn't
complete. Following is the error message:

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup Feb 29, 2004.bkf created 29/02/2004 at 9:26 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301
Aborting Backup.

Happy

I was backing up to a folder, which I would then put on CD. I did this once
before, a month ago, and it worked fine.

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi,

Can you make sure that your COM+ Event System service is not disabled?
(look in services.msc). Also, check if this service is currently
running on your machine.

Also, can you run the following command: "REG.EXE QUERY
HKLM\System\Setup" and cut & paste the output in your reply.

Finally, can you look into the Application Event log for any VSS/COM+
errors? (please use EventVwr). If there are any please cut & paste the
latest ones in your reply.

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Happy

I may be overly cautious here, (and look bad) but not knowing who Adi Oltean
is, and not finding you on the newsgroup as a sender so far, and not seeing
your name on the Netscan list of names,
http://netscan.research.microsoft.c...public.windowsxp.basics&searchdate=12/31/2003
and not seeing any other names with the handle of just @microsoft on the
news group, and not knowing what I am running / sending..... I don't want
to get caught in something. Can you help me out with this?

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

Hi,

I agree that anyone can post in any newsgroup with any fake email
address, but this is not my case. Anyway, if you do not trust the
newsgroups you should contact directly Microsoft Product Support. Here
is the contact information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=cntactms&style=home

BTW - on Netscan, you might want to look in Author Profile section to
example:

http://netscan.research.microsoft.c...orProfile.asp?searchfor=aoltean@microsoft.com

Still, I would point out that Netscan just reads/browses the
newsgroups in background and creates nice summaries, groups
discussions by thread, by author activity, etc. Netscan is definitely
NOT a tool for making newsgroups more secure.

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

No problem.

I will explain below in detail why I requested the information:
disabled? (look in services.msc). Also, check if this service is
currently running on your machine.

You should be able to check whether the COM+ Event System service is
disabled. If it is, then you will see this 80042301 error on XP in
NTBackup.
HKLM\System\Setup" and cut & paste the output in your reply.

If during Windows XP Setup the OOBE exits prematurely (or the computer
reboots) then some values in the registry key above will permanently
indicate that the initial Windows Setup is ongoing (OOBE is that
animation designed to help users to set up their computer).

REG.EXE QUERY will query the content of that registry key and display
it to the console. For example on my machine it shows:

C:\>REG.EXE QUERY HKLM\System\Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup
SetupType REG_DWORD 0x0
SystemSetupInProgress REG_DWORD 0x0
CmdLine REG_SZ setup -newsetup
SystemPrefix REG_BINARY 500020FD00203FA4
SystemPartition REG_SZ \Device\HarddiskVolume1
OsLoaderPath REG_SZ \

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\AllowStart
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\Pid

The things to look for are the "SystemSetupInProgress" and the
"UpdateInProgress" values. If any of these is set to "1" then VSS (or
other applications) still thinks that we are during setup and some VSS
writers will fail to initialize. The end result is that NTBackup might
fail with the 80042301 error.

If any of the "SystemSetupInProgress" and "UpdateInProgress" registry
values mentioned above are "1" you should reset to "0" which will make
NTBackup run again.
VSS/COM+
errors? (please use EventVwr). If there are any please cut & paste the
latest ones in your reply.

If any of the scenarios above deosn't apply, one more cause for this
80042301 error might be a COM+ installation failure. This can be
spotted sometimes if you see certain COM+ errors/warnings in the event
log.

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Happy said:
Thanks for this. I am just being really careful, that's all
"Adi Oltean [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Happy

Adi Oltean-- not sure how all this applies to my backup problem

"Happy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Thanks for this. I am just being really careful, that's all
"Adi Oltean [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It worked after correcting the registery for upgrade in progress from 1 to
Thank you very much

Adi Oltean [MSFT]

The NTBackup error that you mentioned in one of your previous posts is
related with the Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) service:

Note that the VSS service itself is using internally the COM+ event
infrastructure to send backup events to various applications installed
on the system. These backup events are always sent using COM+ whenever
a backup application (like NTBackup) starts a backup. This way various
applications like MSDE/SQL Server will get notified whenever a backup
is taking place.

This is why an error in COM+ event system service will show as an
error in NTBackup log.

For example, if the COM+ Event System service is disabled you get
exactly the NTBackup error mentioned above (80042301). You can verify
this easily on a brand new Windows XP box.