Backup Files

G

Today I removed the program KaZaA from my computer because I realized how pointless it was to have. I did, however, have 1GB worth of songs along with it. I tried to get rid of it using the Add/Remove programs list, but it didn't work. So I decided to use Norton Cleansweep to get rid of it. Before I got rid of it, I had about 19.5 GB of memory left out of about 39GB. If I got rid of KaZaA and all the songs (1GB), I should have had 20.5 GB. I decided that I would get rid of KaZaA but keep much of my song files. So what I did is made a new folder, made copies of those songs into this new folder. At this point, my free space on my hard drive was down to 18.5GB (because the songs doubled). I then continued to delete KaZaA. Norton made a backup (about 1GB in size), but I deleted it seeing as I didn't need it. Well my songs got erased, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that I'm still at 18.5 GB free memory - after deleting the songs and KaZaA. All of the songs (1GB of them) are gone, but I am still at 18.5. I then got rid of all those backups since they were pointless shortcuts that led to nowhere. I was still stuck at 18.5. I then did some disk cleanup and such. Then I defragmented my hard disk. Every thing went as usual except for the fact that I had MUCH MORE Free Space for System Use than normal. What happened to all that space? I calculated that once all those songs and KaZaA were gone, I would have 20.5 GB of hard disk space. I would appreciate if someone could take the time to tell me what happened to all that space. I don't understand how it can just be gone

Thank you

R

roger

Hi Steve,

The files are probably in the System Volume information folder, part
of System restore.
Right-click on that folder and choose properties, to see how big it
is.

Create a new restore point and then delete all but the latest one by
going to Start > Run > cleanmgr.exe and checking the more options tab.
Better make sure that your computer is running fine, as this will
delete all restore points minus the last one!!

Good luck, hope this helps

Ask a Question