Windows Vista Back in 5, upgrading to Vista

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I got Vista through the post today (won it! :D), so I'm going to give it an install and see how it goes.

Back in a tick ;)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I got Vista through the post today (won it! :D), so I'm going to give it an install and see how it goes.

Back in a tick ;)
How did you win it?
'Back in Five' is that hours or days.:p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
5 hours I think :lol: I'm making another live backup as I type this just in case, so may be about another hour before I can install it :blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Upgrade, UPGRADE!!!

I do hope you mean "Clean Install" ... :nod:

As for the rest of our readers, a real upgrade can take some time to finish. I would do my best to dissuade you from doing any upgrade of any OS and strongly suggest you do a clean install.

Not my PC though, is it. ;)

How did he get a post delivery on a Sunday. :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a clean install don't worry :D (technically post came yesterday, but I was away at a wedding so only got it today ;))

Install took 15-20 mins... remembering that I need Vista drivers for my wireless network card (and not having a cable long enough) took another 20 mins of searching :blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... can't beat cable direct link. Come to think on it, I ain't installed anything for my BT Router/WiFi Modem ... Vista did pop up with an error one day, turned out BT we working on the line somewhere and cut me off for 20 mins.

What version you got Ian ? :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its the Ultimate Version, I won it through a Microsoft developers contest so I've been quite lucky as I wouldn't have bought this for a year or so had I not won it. I'm just patching and installing essentials at the moment, but I look forward to seeing the graphical effects once my drivers are updated. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, nice ... Home & Busines all-in-one with the option of downloading a few bits-n-bobs ... one that would be nice to try, is having/running the desktop pic as a movie. Only available for Ultra ... sad buggers @ MS :rolleyes:

:D

Hey! ... now you will see "all" the problems I been having with the website. :eek:

:lol:

* just kidding ... but there are a few anomalies you may see ... may just be me though *

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hello Ian???..................Ian?.................Hello?...........:lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm here (only just!), Vista, Kaspersky Internet Security and my wireless adapter really don't get along too well so I'm disabling services one by one to figure out why the wireless connection times out. I'm back online now but who knows how long that will last ;) I've narrowed it down to 4 services now, so we're getting there!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't appear to be Kaspersky after all, it seems to be the WPA-PSK (TKIP) security used on my router. I'll report back once I've sorted it :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, oh, the drama....... :eek:

Streaming live right now into a living room near you folks......

muckshifter

Reaction score
:lol:

Sorry, was watch a DVD movie ... did I miss something. :D

Hey, come on, you should know the drill ...

... are all these wifi thingies all "g" or "b" ... do not mix & match, bet its a Linksys router.

Just set the Router to WPA only. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its a 3Com router (not sure if its a rebrand), but even with no encryption it still has trouble connecting... very strange. Going to work on it today after uni :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
One of the most common "problems" with WiFi Routers is ... software conflicts.

I would use Vista's own "Wireless Network Setup" first ... :)

Come on Ian, what is the Router ? a 3Com what ? This Router needs to conform to the new standards Vista uses ... SMB2 ???

You may be looking for a new Router. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like its a problem with a WPA incompatibility between the two, so I'm trying WEP. Its a 3Com ADSL 11g Office Connect, and looks like others have had the problem too. I'll see how it performs today using WEP :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thank you ... I can "see" the problem now ... USB dongle.

Surprised you never had a problem in XP. :p

Save yourself some headache, go get a "hardwired" wireless Router. Can you hardwired this one ?

:user:

Ask a Question