Avg or avast

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Trial and error I'm afraid as its a personal choice . I've never been let down by Avast if thats any help .
nod.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is better AVG or Avast.
Neither ...

After the three programs were professionally tested it has been proven that AntiVir PersonalEdition does the best job of detecting viruses. :thumb:

You will need two or three good anti-malware programs to augment any AV program, unless you are willing to pay for top quality, you get what you pay for. ;)

I recommend one of the following ...

KAV or NOD32 ... both have trials before you buy, neither are free both are top AV programs. Never use two AV programs at the same time.

in conjunction I also recommend you use ...
Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor (neither are free) and SpyBotsearch&Destroy, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender.

All that lot are needed just to be 75-80% safe'ish on the 'Tinternet. :D

user.gif

oh, welcome to the forums ... I suggest you have a browse & read other threads.
;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
speaking of AVG
I ran into a problem a few moons back that ended up with me having to do a system restore. long story short, my registration for avg is corrupted and as a result i can neither use avg or uninstall it, Bummer.

oh since then i use Antivir :D

Reaction score
I use Avast meself, in conjunction with Windows Defender + Spybot.

Not exactly a conclusive package, but I'm too cheap to pay for anything, and there is nothing on my commputers thats actually worth anything.

Yay students.

:D

And can I point out that Defender scanned 50,000 odd files in less than 3 minutes, which I think is shockingly fast.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and there is nothing on my commputers thats actually worth anything.
Hmmm, that ain't the point these days ... we don't want your PC spamming & scamming us if it is taken over as a Bot. ;)

wizkid, anything you install on your PC will slow it down ... 10,000Ghz CPU & 32Gb Ram is a minimum for today. :thumb:

:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Hmmm, that ain't the point these days ... we don't want your PC spamming & scamming us if it is taken over as a Bot. ;)

But you forget - I have my glock handy... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Alf said:
speaking of AVG
I ran into a problem a few moons back that ended up with me having to do a system restore. long story short, my registration for avg is corrupted and as a result i can neither use avg or uninstall it, Bummer.

oh since then i use Antivir :D

I have seen this before, what you need to do is download a new copy and choose one of the three options. I forget which one it is, Repair, Uninstall, or whatever the third one is... but one of those gives you a new license number. Copy and paste it into your currently installed avg then you can either uninstall it or start using it again. Your choice. I think it has something to do with AVG using the windows key for its license somehow or another.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
After the three programs were professionally tested it has been proven that AntiVir PersonalEdition does the best job of detecting viruses. :thumb:

Can I ask if Antivir scans emails. I can't find any mention of it in the blurb.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Antivir and Emails

nivrip said:
Can I ask if Antivir scans emails. I can't find any mention of it in the blurb.

Sorry this should not be in the AVG or Avast thread. I'll rethread it

Ask a Question