E

erpen

after installing the full program , windows security center says anti-virus
not found

P

privatenews\\spyware

I haven't seen where it was, and I have the same problem, running Vista
64bit. Suddenly my Security center says that AVG isn't turned on, but when I
turn it on, it says it's not. But AVG says that it's running normally.

nancy

B

Bill Sanderson

OK - so this worked, with the current OS version and (roughly) the current version of AVG, but now it doesn't work (I.e. the security center reflected the condition of AVG correctly before, but does not now?)

The first thing is to be sure that AVG is, in fact, operational and current on definitions, because the obvious symptom could be that of a malware infection. It sounds to me as though you're clear on that--and that AVG is working fine as far as you can tell.

There is a repair operation that usually fixes this kind of issue with the security center--it isn't specific to AVG, I've needed it with Microsoft's Forefront client, for example--but the way you do the repair is different for different versions of Windows--and I'm going to give the Vista version, since you've told us (Thanks!) what version you are running, and because it is easier on Vista.

In general, this reference is a good one for issues with WMI, which I believe is the root of your symptom:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

However, of the methods listed at that reference, I recommend trying this first:

Go to Start, all programs, accessories, and right-click "command prompt" and choose run as administrator.

At the ensuing command prompt, type: winmgmt /salvagerepository and hit enter.

You can then type exit to close the command prompt window.

Let's see whether that takes care of the problem.

I can't recall whether a restart of Windows was needed before the security center again properly reflected the condition of the antivirus protection or not--give it some time, if nothing appears to happen, restart, and give that some time, too--I.e. don't be too worried if the red shield comes up early in the startup process.

privatenews\spyware said:
I haven't seen where it was, and I have the same problem, running Vista
64bit. Suddenly my Security center says that AVG isn't turned on, but when I
turn it on, it says it's not. But AVG says that it's running normally.

nancy

--

Ask a Question