Autoplay

B

Brian Meyers

Each time I turn-on or plug-in a thumb drive or Maxtor Onetouch Harddrive a Windows Explorer pops up displaying the directories for the removable devices. I have changed the AutoPlay settings for these devices 'Select an Action to perform to 'Take no action' for the 4 content types offered.

This only started in the last 90 days. Were there some Microsoft updates that caused this?

G

Displaying the contents of removable discs (when AutoPlay is turned OFF)
drives me (and my backup program) up the wall also. I wish Micro$oft would
do something to fix this. AutoPlay OFF does not fix the problem.

Even with AutoPlay turned OFF in the system registry
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/ Cdrom/Autorun=0) EVERY
TIME my backup program opens the drive to verify the disc it just wrote,
Windows Explorer opens up a window to display the drive contents. It tends
to cause my backup program (NovaBackup 7.5.1.47) to STOP reading the disc it
just wrote.

In the meantime, it would be helpful to know what service I can stop or
suspend to keep this from happening.

Is there a SERVICE I can STOP/SUSPEND or set to MANUAL that can stop Windows
from displaying the contents of removable discs? If so, I would like the
command syntax to stop, suspend, resume and start the service that is causing
this extremely annoying disruption.

You can respond to (e-mail address removed) or (e-mail address removed) if you
have a solution.

Thank you!

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Ric

Autoplay only initiates Windows Explorer when the drive is opened and then closed. It sounds like Novabackup is sending this signal that causes the Autoplay to start? Check with Novabackup support for any known issues with this behavior.

I use a different backup program and the transition from writing the disk to verifying is seamless.

You might also check any installed media players, burning software or other disk software for an autoplay option that may be overriding the XP autoplay settings.

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Brian

Down load the free TweakUI utility from Microsoft. Double click the downloaded file to install.

Open TweakUI, go to My Computer and click the + to expand the menu. Click the + by Autoplay to expand that menu. Click on Drives and remove the check mark from the drive letters that the thumb drives use. Next, click Types and remove the check mark from the "Enable autoplay for removeable drives" option. Apply/OK.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Each time I turn-on or plug-in a thumb drive or Maxtor Onetouch Harddrive a Windows Explorer pops up displaying the directories for the removable devices. I have changed the AutoPlay settings for these devices 'Select an Action to perform to 'Take no action' for the 4 content types offered.

This only started in the last 90 days. Were there some Microsoft updates that caused this?

G

Brian,

I will give that a shot. Thank you.

I was hoping there was an Explorer, Registry, or Service setting I could
change that would simply pause Autoplay while NovaBackup was running. I
guess not.

I have written NovaStor about this. Hopefully, they will modify NovaBackup
to stop Autoplay while NovaBackup is in operation.

Thanks for your help.

B

Brian Meyers

Doesn't anyone know about this?

B

Brian Meyers

I downloaded and followed you instructions. I'll let you know how it works
out.

Brian

Brian

First, note which drive letter is usually assigned to the USB disk.

Download and install the free TweakUI utility from Microsoft.

TweakUI for Windows XP:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Open TweakUI and expand the My Computer/Autoplay item. Click Drives and
remove the check mark from the drive letter that is usually assigned to the
USB drive.

Ask a Question