Automatic opening Internet Explorer with dial-up

kimjor

I have Windows XP, SP1, and Internet Explorer 6. I use
Earthklink as my ISP, and have dial-up, at 56k.
Until a few days ago, whenever I clicked on the 'Internet
Explorer' icon on my desktop, the dial-up connection was
made and the Internet Explorer Windows came up, to my
chosen home page--all with a single click.
For some unexplained reason, this no longer happens. When
I click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, I
get an error message--'there is no Web connection made'.
I then have to click the 'Earthlink' icon, and after an
internet connection is established, I then must go back to
the desktop and click on the 'Internet Explorer' icon, to
open Internet Explorer.
What can I do to open to the Internet Explorer window in
one step, as previously occurred?
Thanks.
Kimjor

PeteT

Hello Kimjor,

Today I have experienced what sounds like exactly the
same problem with my link to BTOpenworld! A co-
incidence?! I have not yet resolved the problem, so any
suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

PeteT

Alex

You must configure the settings for your default
connection. Open Tools->Internet Options from your browser
and navigate to the 'Connections' tab. Ensure that your
Earthlink connection is listed in the dial-up settings
box, and select "Always dial my default connection".
Highlight your Earthlink connection, and select "Set
default"

Carol Haynes

I have just got the same issue - Internet connection settings are correct
but I have to manually dial up.

Could this be a bug with the latest critical update?

Using WinXP Pro SP1

Carol

plabord

Alex said:
You must configure the settings for your default
connection. Open Tools->Internet Options from your browser
and navigate to the 'Connections' tab. Ensure that your
Earthlink connection is listed in the dial-up settings
box, and select "Always dial my default connection".
Highlight your Earthlink connection, and select "Set
default"

Well, there must be some funny solar activity going on that affects
IE6, because I've just started having the SAME problem today!!!!

Playing with the settings in the Tools/Options menu makes no
difference--I've already tried that several times. These settings are
something I'm very familiar with, and it's strange how they are not
working. IE just will not automatically connect. I've rebooted my
computer twice hoping that would fix it. I hope somebody out there has
run into this before--I'd hate to have to reinstall the browser. Any
help will be appreciated.

(Please don't send email--I've abandoned that account due to spam)

PL

Carol Haynes

plabord said:
"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Well, there must be some funny solar activity going on that affects
IE6, because I've just started having the SAME problem today!!!!

Playing with the settings in the Tools/Options menu makes no
difference--I've already tried that several times. These settings are
something I'm very familiar with, and it's strange how they are not
working. IE just will not automatically connect. I've rebooted my
computer twice hoping that would fix it. I hope somebody out there has
run into this before--I'd hate to have to reinstall the browser. Any
help will be appreciated.

Already tried that - it doesn't work!

I have now restored a working backup 4 times, and each time it works for a
while and then stops after a couple of hours!

REALLY annoying

Carol

kimjor

I tried adjusting the settings, as suggested by Alex. To
no avail--problem did not go away. This problem began
after I had downloaded the latest critical security update
from Windows Update site.
Any other suggestions?
Kimjor