Automatic linked Para numbering within a defined Header

G

I need some help to automatically link paragraph numbering in a specification to the heading number. I am pretty familiar with Styles, so not looking for the basic "define the paragraph as the next level Header", and have set up my machine with Shauna Kelly's outline numbering recomendation. I would prefer not to use header numbering for the paragraph number for two reasons,
i) I need paragraph numbering under level 1, 2 & 3 Headings ie. first para may be numbered 2.1, 2.1.1 or even 2.1.1.1 for example, depending on what header level it appears under.
ii) I use the Table of contents function in which I do not want to include paragraphs.
After spending quite a bit of time with outline numbering, I suspect that I may need to use some kind of inserted field.

To give an example, I am looking to do the following (using defined styles if possible):

2. Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 1)

2.1 Normal paragraph where I would like to have the "2.1" automatically numbering the paragraph depending on the level of header above
2.2 Normal paragraph

3. Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 1)

3.1 Sub Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 2)

3.1.1 Here again I need the numbering to be automatically linked to the paragraph number above. I would anticipate to predefine a style of some kind to use through out my document (which is quite long), so I don't want to define each paragraph numbering individually/manually.

3.1.2 This para would follow in the sequence from previous.

I am sure there is a way to do it, but at a loss to get it right. Maybe I should produce the document in Excel in true engineering style ;-) where I could manage these issues more easily!

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=,

I think I'm following you correctly, based on the example you show below...

So, why wouldn't you set up an Outline numbering sequence
- Level 1 = Outline level 1 (doesn't matter what the style is named)
- Level 2 = Outline level 2 (again, doesn't matter whether you use Heading 2 or your own style)
- Level 3 = Outline level 3 (any style name you like)

In the "More" part of the customize numbering dialog box you can select a particular style for each level.
I need some help to automatically link paragraph numbering in a specification to the heading number. I am pretty familiar with Styles, so not looking for the basic "define the paragraph as the next level Header", and have set up my machine with Shauna Kelly's outline numbering recomendation. I would prefer not to use header numbering for the paragraph number for two reasons,
i) I need paragraph numbering under level 1, 2 & 3 Headings ie. first para may be numbered 2.1, 2.1.1 or even 2.1.1.1 for example, depending on what header level it appears under.
ii) I use the Table of contents function in which I do not want to include paragraphs.
After spending quite a bit of time with outline numbering, I suspect that I may need to use some kind of inserted field.

To give an example, I am looking to do the following (using defined styles if possible):

2. Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 1)

2.1 Normal paragraph where I would like to have the "2.1" automatically numbering the paragraph depending on the level of header above
2.2 Normal paragraph

3. Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 1)

3.1 Sub Heading (Used defined Style, say Heading 2)

3.1.1 Here again I need the numbering to be automatically linked to the paragraph number above. I would anticipate to predefine a style of some kind to use through out my document (which is quite long), so I don't want to define each paragraph numbering individually/manually.

3.1.2 This para would follow in the sequence from previous.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

Ask a Question