automatic download of file

Just installed Windows Server 2003 SP1. Prior to that, during an IE session,
I could ask for a file download from a particular site and it would
automatically be opened after download by a particular application, without
user intervention required to specify "open". I have had this functionality
reset once before after installing some update in the past and seem to
remember a registry setting that re-enabled this but forgot where.

Now, I get a dialog box with only "save" or "cancel" buttons. I know of the
Folder option "Confirm open after download", but checked or not, for this
particular file extension, I get the dialog box with only "save" or "cancel"
buttons.

Any insight?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

CV27 said:
Just installed Windows Server 2003 SP1. Prior to that, during an IE
session,
I could ask for a file download from a particular site and it would
automatically be opened after download by a particular application,
without
user intervention required to specify "open". I have had this
functionality
reset once before after installing some update in the past and seem to
remember a registry setting that re-enabled this but forgot where.

Now, I get a dialog box with only "save" or "cancel" buttons. I know of
the
Folder option "Confirm open after download", but checked or not, for this
particular file extension, I get the dialog box with only "save" or
"cancel"
buttons.

Any insight?

Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to the file type in question and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Uncheck the box for "Confirm open after download".

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Frank,

In my first message, I mentioned "...I know of the Folder option "Confirm
open after download", but checked or not, for this particular file extension,
I get the dialog box with only "save" or "cancel"...". I agree with you in
theory that this option should do it, but it doesn't.

I use Quicken and so, once I've specified on my banking site that I want to
download my transactions, usually, when the site initiates the D/L, Quicken
intercepts the file with no user intervention (as in: this file type is
associated with this application and there is an 'open' action specified).

And, as I said before, someone in the past had mentioned a registry setting
that fixed this problem; unfortunately, I lost the info.

In any case, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks.

Just found a new twist to my saga.

As mentioned, I have Quicken D/L my transactions.

With one financial institution, I get the following D/L dialog elements:
- file name: ofx95777.qfx
- Type: Quicken OFX data, 27.8 KB
- "save" and "cancel" buttons

Then with another financial institution, I get the following D/L dialog
elements:
- file name: xxxxvisa.qfx
- Type: Quicken OFX data
- "open", "save" and "cancel" buttons

Same file suffix, different dialogs??? Obviously different sites, so does
the site have any impact on the D/L dialog?

Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
What if user is not admin...My File Association options have been disabled by admin.... Please help

news:[email protected]...