Auto Complete User Names & Passwords

Allen

IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and passwords for that same page? Hope that make sense.

Thanks

Jan Il

Hi Allen :)

You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, but, you might try the following and see if it helps:

To get IE to prompt to save passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

Clearing all passwords should work to reset the "Save Password" option for
that site.
IE> Tools> Options> Content> Autocomplete> Clear Passwords.

Protected Storage PassView from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pspv.html
will help you recover other cached passwords *before* you clear all passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

and....

If still not joy -

Go to Start>Run> type in regedit in the window and hit enter
File>Export and backup a copy of the Registery to a folder where you will know where to find it.
Then do the following:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms
Then delete the AskUser DWORD Value.

Save and close the Registry and reboot the system. Then try the Autocomplete again to see if you get the prompt.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and passwords for that same page? Hope that make sense.

Thanks

Allen

McAfee Virus Scan
Message: VirusScan Alert!
Detected As: Generic PWS.f
Detected Type: Trojan

Hi Allen :)

You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, but, you might try the following and see if it helps:

To get IE to prompt to save passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

Clearing all passwords should work to reset the "Save Password" option for
that site.
IE> Tools> Options> Content> Autocomplete> Clear Passwords.

Protected Storage PassView from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pspv.html
will help you recover other cached passwords *before* you clear all passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

and....

If still not joy -

Go to Start>Run> type in regedit in the window and hit enter
File>Export and backup a copy of the Registery to a folder where you will know where to find it.
Then do the following:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms
Then delete the AskUser DWORD Value.

Save and close the Registry and reboot the system. Then try the Autocomplete again to see if you get the prompt.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and passwords for that same page? Hope that make sense.

Thanks

Don Varnau

Hi,
Protected Storage PassView is safe to download and run (from legitimate
sites such as Snapfiles or http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html ) McAfee's
heuristic scanning is classifying it as a password stealer because it's
accessing stored passwords. McAfee is being overly protective, but better
safe than sorry. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Allen" <NOYB[at]NOYB.org> wrote in message
McAfee Virus Scan
Message: VirusScan Alert!
Detected As: Generic PWS.f
Detected Type: Trojan

"Jan Il" <abuseSPAM[at]localhost.invalid> wrote in message
- - - - -

Hi Allen :)
You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, but, you might
try the following and see if it helps:

To get IE to prompt to save passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

Clearing all passwords should work to reset the "Save Password" option for
that site.
IE> Tools> Options> Content> Autocomplete> Clear Passwords.

Protected Storage PassView from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pspv.html
will help you recover other cached passwords *before* you clear all
passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

and....

If still not joy -

Go to Start>Run> type in regedit in the window and hit enter
File>Export and backup a copy of the Registery to a folder where you will
know where to find it.
Then do the following:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms
Then delete the AskUser DWORD Value.

Save and close the Registry and reboot the system. Then try the
Autocomplete again to see if you get the prompt.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE [DTS/AumHa]
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
- - - - -

IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save
passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally
said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and
password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and passwords
for that same page? Hope that make sense.

Thanks

Allen

Still though far as I can tell it won't allow deletion of a single entry,
i.e. all entries for the site must be deleted.
I'm I missing something?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Yes, AFAIK you will have to use PSPV to clear all stored login info *for
that website/page* But PSPV is showing you all usernames and passwords, so
they can be saved. You'll just have to login again.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Allen" wrote in message
McAfee Virus Scan
Message: VirusScan Alert!
Detected As: Generic PWS.f
Detected Type: Trojan
"Jan Il" <abuseSPAM[at]localhost.invalid> wrote in message

Hi Allen :)
You don't mention which version of Windows you are using, but, you might
try the following and see if it helps:

To get IE to prompt to save passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

Clearing all passwords should work to reset the "Save Password" option
for
that site.
IE> Tools> Options> Content> Autocomplete> Clear Passwords.

Protected Storage PassView from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pspv.html
will help you recover other cached passwords *before* you clear all
passwords.

Courtesy of Don Varnau -

and....

If still not joy -

Go to Start>Run> type in regedit in the window and hit enter
File>Export and backup a copy of the Registery to a folder where you will
know where to find it.
Then do the following:

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms
Then delete the AskUser DWORD Value.

Save and close the Registry and reboot the system. Then try the
Autocomplete again to see if you get the prompt.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
- - - - -

IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save
passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally
said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and
password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and
passwords
for that same page? Hope that make sense.

Robert Aldwinckle

<QP>
IE is set to auto complete and remember user names and prompt to save
passwords.

Recently when prompted to save a user name and password I accidentally
said no. How do I get IE to now prompt me to save that user name and
password, with out loosing the other already saved user names and
passwords for that same page?
</QP

It depends entirely on the implementation of the login prompt.

Sometimes you still have the userid in the Login As: field
stored using AutoComplete for Forms. In that case
just as you can delete an individual userid/password pair
by deleting the userid as an ordinary data item in a form field
so you may be able to delete a userid which has password
saving inhibited. I.e., deleting the userid often restarts the cycle
and gives you another chance to reply to the prompt the next
time you try to enter that particular userid.

Other times there is no userid present (e.g. both have been
inhibited from being saved) and the signal for that case
is maintained in the site's Cookie. So deleting the site's
Cookie might restart the cycle. Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---