Author: MagicISO Inc.

Susan Bugher

Company: MagicISO Inc.

I believe the magic in this case is sleight-of-hand. . . ;)

http://www.magiciso.com/

Their app is called Magic ISO Maker (#ware) and per this web page
MagicDisc is part of Magic ISO Maker:
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Click on the "MagicDisc Overview" link on the tutorial page - you will
find it takes you to a page where MagicDisc is called "MagicDisc Virtual
DVD/CD-ROM" and labeled as freeware.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

That, of course, is the "home page" that's shown on software sites like
this one:
http://www.soft30.com/softdown-10-16007.htm

If you're already *there* they want to sell you the Shareware. . . not
give you the Crippleware. . . If you're some place else they want to
reel you in with their "Freeware" offer. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Even Afwezig

Company: MagicISO Inc.

I believe the magic in this case is sleight-of-hand. . . ;)

http://www.magiciso.com/

Their app is called Magic ISO Maker (#ware) and per this web page
MagicDisc is part of Magic ISO Maker:
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Click on the "MagicDisc Overview" link on the tutorial page - you will
find it takes you to a page where MagicDisc is called "MagicDisc Virtual
DVD/CD-ROM" and labeled as freeware.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

Correct. Nothing wrong with that.
That, of course, is the "home page" that's shown on software sites like
this one:
http://www.soft30.com/softdown-10-16007.htm

If you're already *there* they want to sell you the Shareware. . . not
give you the Crippleware. . . If you're some place else they want to
reel you in with their "Freeware" offer. . .

Nothing wrong with MagicDisc, it is working perfect and is free, no
nags or anything. What's your point? A company wants to sell their
product. Makes sense to me. MagicDisc is free and that's what counts.

Susan Bugher

Even said:
Op Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:47:13 -0500, Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
schreef:
Correct. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with MagicDisc, it is working perfect and is free, no
nags or anything. What's your point? A company wants to sell their
product. Makes sense to me. MagicDisc is free and that's what counts.

I prefer to list the main URL for authors' web sites on the ACF program
info pages. The main URL is the least likely to change and showing it is
a courtesy to authors who have both Shareware and Freeware apps. My
point is that people coming in the "front door" of this web site will
have a hard time finding the free app - some authors make it hard for
you to do them a good turn. . . A second point is that the information
given is unclear.

This web page says MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM 2.1
http://www.soft30.com/softdown-10-16007.htm

This web page has a version history for MagicISO:
http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm
The latest version of MagicISO is v5.1(build 184)

Is the free app the same as the MagicDisc that's part of MagicIso or an
older version?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Even Afwezig

Op Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:10:28 -0500, Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
schreef:

I prefer to list the main URL for authors' web sites on the ACF program
info pages. The main URL is the least likely to change and showing it is
a courtesy to authors who have both Shareware and Freeware apps. My
point is that people coming in the "front door" of this web site will
have a hard time finding the free app - some authors make it hard for
you to do them a good turn. . . A second point is that the information
given is unclear.

This web page says MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM 2.1
http://www.soft30.com/softdown-10-16007.htm

This web page has a version history for MagicISO:
http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm
The latest version of MagicISO is v5.1(build 184)

Is the free app the same as the MagicDisc that's part of MagicIso or an
older version?

The author is an company that sells a product. That's their first
goal. The MagicDisc is freeware and on another page, the freeware and
payware apart.That's how _i like it. Anybody using google and
searching for a freeware virtual cd/dvd drive can find it.
It is not a part of MagicISO. So nothing unclear there.

Chris Lee

schreef:

The author is an company that sells a product. That's their first
goal. The MagicDisc is freeware and on another page, the freeware
and
payware apart.That's how _i like it. Anybody using google and
searching for a freeware virtual cd/dvd drive can find it.
It is not a part of MagicISO. So nothing unclear there.

And like I've said before, it's people like you that makes
the Free Software/Open Source world want *NOTHING* to do
with either Windows software vendors or their users.

Even Afwezig

Op Thu, 09 Feb 2006 06:05:19 -0500, Chris Lee <[email protected]>
schreef:

And like I've said before, it's people like you that makes
the Free Software/Open Source world want *NOTHING* to do
with either Windows software vendors or their users.

Why is that? Sorry, i don't get it.

Susan Bugher

Even said:
It is not a part of MagicISO. So nothing unclear there.

erm. . . I guess you didn't visit the all the web pages. According to
the author MagicDisc is part of MagicISO.

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

"MagicISO Online Help" . . .
"MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM (MagicDisc)" . . .
"Purchase MagicISO for getting full version of MagicISO"

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Even said:
I did visit the pages. MagicDisc is a program made by them.
To keep it as clear as possible, the author did put MagicDisc on a
separate page,
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm and
links from softpedia etc. are to that page.
But anyway, i contacted them and they will look into it.

Thanks Even.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Susan said:
I prefer to list the main URL for authors' web sites on the ACF program

Download link on this page:
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

These programs can be used together, create iso files in magiciso,
mount and test them in magicdisk.
Is the free app the same as the MagicDisc that's part of MagicIso or an
older version?

It is a separate program, a program like demon tools, you can mount and
use an iso file from the hard disk.

MagicISO is a commercial program for converting from CD to ISO, to
create ISO files, and to burn them. Magic disk is freeware, a virtual
iso drive, for using iso files like burned CD's.

At the middle of this list are 3 links to magic disk.
http://www.softwaredownloads.ws/software_download/100/M/

The first link lets me download magic disk ver 2.1.28
I did not complete the installation, but it looks okay.

Found a download link on the magiciso site too:

Roger said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
It is a separate program, a program like demon tools, you can mount and
use an iso file from the hard disk.

Yup. MagicDisc is ALSO part of MagicISO:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm

"MagicISO Online Help"

"MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM (MagicDisc)
* MagicDisc Overview"
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

My (still unanswered) question is about the stand-alone "Freeware". It
looks as if that MagicDisc (aka "MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM") *might*
be much older than the MagicDisc that's part of MagicISO - hard to tell
as they only show a change log for MagicISO.

http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm
MagicISO Version 5.1(build 184) Released 12/28/2005
At the middle of this list are 3 links to magic disk.
http://www.softwaredownloads.ws/software_download/100/M/

The first link lets me download magic disk ver 2.1.28

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Susan said:
My (still unanswered) question is about the stand-alone "Freeware". It
looks as if that MagicDisc (aka "MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM") *might*
be much older than the MagicDisc that's part of MagicISO - hard to tell
as they only show a change log for MagicISO.

I installed the freeware version, it had some problem with install
language, so the menues were unreadable, I uninstalled it again.

There are better alternatives for this task, like demon tools, no need
to use magicdisk.

Susan Bugher

Roger said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

I installed the freeware version, it had some problem with install
language, so the menues were unreadable, I uninstalled it again.

There are better alternatives for this task, like demon tools, no need
to use magicdisk.

Once upon a time long, long ago. . . I started to assemble this app's
program description. . .

Putting a program description together often feels like solving a jigsaw
puzzle (one that's been scattered all over the house). . . and small
mysteries sometimes appear as the puzzle takes shape. . . this has been
one of them. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Even Afwezig

Yup. MagicDisc is ALSO part of MagicISO:

No it is not. It is made by the firm that sells MagicISO.
If you install MagicISO you don't get MagicDisc.
My (still unanswered) question is about the stand-alone "Freeware". It
looks as if that MagicDisc (aka "MagicDisc Virtual DVD/CD-ROM") *might*
be much older than the MagicDisc that's part of MagicISO - hard to tell
as they only show a change log for MagicISO.

It is not connected, and you are right, MagicDisc is older. The last
build was in 2005.
But it has no bugs as far as i know. And i am using it for two years
now.

Susan Bugher

No it is not. It is made by the firm that sells MagicISO.
If you install MagicISO you don't get MagicDisc.

We've beat around this particular bush several times now. :) ISTM at
this point the best thing to do is let anyone who cares make up their
own mind. See:

http://www.magiciso.com/
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/tutorials.htm
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm