audio problems

J

jonathan

I have installed logitech 400; I get perfect video
communication, but the audio does not work (I have tried
with 2 different addresses). I can neither hear, nor be
heard. The video/audio wizard shows that everything is
fine. The microphone is usb stereo microphone with gain,
and the speakers are Emu10kx audio [df80].

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Jonathan,

Firstly, make sure both you and your contact have gone through the Audio (and Video) Tuning
Wizard in Messenger. To do so, open the main Messenger window, click the Tools menu, then
Audio Tuning Wizard, then go through the wizard to select and test your audio/video devices.

Then, both you and your contact should verify that the Windows XP Internet Connection
Firewall isn't on -- click Start, then click the Control Panel. If you're in category view
click Network and Internet connections then click Network Connections. Right click your
network/internet connection, then click Properties. Click the Advanced Tab, and verify that
the Internet Connection Firewall is unchecked. As well, if your contact is using some type
of third-party firewall (ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, etc.) have them make sure that
Messenger is set to "Permit All", "Allow All" or "Medium" (ZoneAlarm).

If that's not the case, and if you or your contact are using a router (with UPnP support),
you may need to remove the current port forwardings. To do so, click Start, All Programs,
Accessories, Communications, Network Connections. Right-click the "Internet Gateway" (should
be under the Internet Gateway heading) and choose Properties. Choose the Settings button,
click each 'msmsgs' or 'msnmsgr' entry and then choose 'Delete' to each one. Then close
Messenger (right-click the Messenger icon, choose Exit), then restart Messenger.

Also, you and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so,
click Start, then click the Control Panel. If you're in category view click Network and
Internet connections then click Network Connections. Right click your network/internet
connection, then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet Scheduler, then reboot and try
again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question