Audio on Motherboard: How good is it?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The audio bundled with the motherboard nowadays is getting better and better. Many find it more than adequate for their needs and they do not feel the need to get a dedicated sound card for their computer system. However, those who give a lot of importance to sound quality or have better than average speaker systems attached to their systems feel the need to upgrade to a better sound card. The upgrade could be for high end gaming or exclusively for listening to higher quality music which the bundled sound card may not have the capability to render.

Find out if your sound card is upto the standards or is adequate for your needs by reading an intersting and informative article at Hardware Secrets entitled Understand On-Board Audio Features

:)

Reaction score
I build quite a number of PC`s all of which have had onboard sound, I have never had any problem, the sound quality is excellent, if one’s needs are for a better sound quality then use a further sound card of your choice.;)

MOBO I have used are most manufacturers Asus/PC chips/Asrock/gigabyte/Abit/ Etc; Etc:

Reaction score
does onboard audio support 5.1 speakers? or will you have to purchase a sound card for surround sound

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
most onboard sound will support 5.1 speakers, it depends on the motherboard

Ask a Question