Attachments not visible

jim

We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and other
documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he is unable
to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or anything else to
indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine. If he
views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone over his
Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would keep
attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Roady [MVP]

Are the latest updates applied?
What add-ins are installed?

Does enabling/disabling Cached Exchange Mode make a difference?

jim

No add-ins (that i know of) and all the latest patches and updates.

I've not tested cached mode yet..

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
jim said:
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and other
documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he is
unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or anything
else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine. If
he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone over
his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would keep
attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

jim

No plug-ins at all. What's curious is that you can't see the attachments at
all in the message when it arrives. However, if you click the forward
button, you can see the attachments just fine before you click Send.

Cached mode on or off has no effect.

jim said:
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and other
documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he is
unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or anything
else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine. If
he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone over
his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would keep
attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

jim

The same message we can't see the attachment in Outlook2k3, we CAN see
normally using Outlook2k7. Strange..

jim said:
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and
other documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he
is unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or
anything else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine. If
he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone over
his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would keep
attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Roady [MVP]

Are you using a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook? Disable this
integration and try again.

What format is the message in? Plain Text, HTML, Rich Text?
Also; does the attachment "pop-up" when you change the message format to
Plain Text?

--

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and
other documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he
is unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or
anything else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine. If
he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone over
his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would keep
attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

jim

It looks like rich text, although this is coming from outside the company so
i'm not really sure.

No antivirus integration with Outlook.

How do you change the format of an 'incoming' message?

jim said:
No plug-ins at all. What's curious is that you can't see the
attachments at all in the message when it arrives. However, if you
click the forward button, you can see the attachments just fine before
you click Send.

Cached mode on or off has no effect.

in message Are the latest updates applied?
What add-ins are installed?

Does enabling/disabling Cached Exchange Mode make a difference?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and
other documents from company's we do business with. On some emails he
is unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or
anything else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine.
If he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone
over his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that would
keep attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Roady [MVP]

Open the message-> Edit-> Edit Message-> IIRC menu Format

--

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in message Are the latest updates applied?
What add-ins are installed?

Does enabling/disabling Cached Exchange Mode make a difference?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
We've got a user running Outlook 2003. He often receives quotes and
other documents from company's we do business with. On some emails
he is unable to see any attachments at all. There's no paperclip or
anything else to indicate an attachment was included with the email.

If he forwards the email to a co-worker, they can see it just fine.
If he views the emails in OWA, the attachments are there. I've gone
over his Outlook view settings and there's nothing specific that
would keep attachments from not being shown.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Just a heads up on this issue. We started having this exact problem Friday
5/4/07 with two of our end users using Outlook 2003 with a recently installed
Exchange Server 2007 (installed on 4/24) until the Exchange Server 2007
switch we never had this issue (was running Exchange 2003 for about 2 years)

Opening the message clicking in edit message and then changing the format to
PLAIN TEXT instead of HTML did indeed display the attachment in the header.

So this is one of those problems that are hard to pin down, it could easily
be coincidence that 2 users out of 27 have this problem now because of our
2007 upgrade, or as I've read on other forums it could be a bug in Mozilla
Thunderbird that sends messed up attachment headers that Outlook can't
decifer and those two users were getting e-mail with attachments from
Thunderbird users.

The users have been getting other e-mail with the attachments visible, so
I'm tending to lean on the latter explanation.

Just wanted to give a little more info on this subject and let you know you
are not the only person in the world having to deal with it.

Roady said:
[...]

Tom

We're seeing this too. Just rolling out Outlook 2003. Our mail is served by
an Exchange provider using Exchange Server 2007. Messages sent in html
format from Thunderbird 2.0 on a Mac come without clip indicator, and
attachments are not visible. Workarounds provided here helped a lot.

Outlook XP from POP account works. Outlook 2007 to the same Exchange 2007
server works. Very tricky one, this beasty.

jim said:
It looks like rich text, although this is coming from outside the
company
so i'm not really sure.

No antivirus integration with Outlook.

How do you change the format of an 'incoming' message?

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote
in message Are you using a virus scanner that integrates with Outlook? Disable