Attach USB speakers to 3.5mm "audio out" socket?

Jarro

I use a small pair of USB speakers which are just the right size for me.

I would like to plug these speakers into the 3.5mm "audio output"
socket. (The speakers will probably sound quieter but that may not be a
problem for me.)

Which pins on the USB plug do I connect to the 3.5mm stereo jack plug

Laurence Payne

I use a small pair of USB speakers which are just the right size for me.

I would like to plug these speakers into the 3.5mm "audio output"
socket. (The speakers will probably sound quieter but that may not be a
problem for me.)

Which pins on the USB plug do I connect to the 3.5mm stereo jack plug

Any you like. But the speakers will sound a *great deal* quieter :)

Arny Krueger

Jarro said:
I use a small pair of USB speakers which are just the right size for me.

I would like to plug these speakers into the 3.5mm "audio output"
socket. (The speakers will probably sound quieter but that may not be a
problem for me.)

Which pins on the USB plug do I connect to the 3.5mm stereo jack plug

Mission impossible.

Richard Crowley

I use a small pair of USB speakers which are just the right size for
me.

I would like to plug these speakers into the 3.5mm "audio output"
socket. (The speakers will probably sound quieter but that may not be
problem for me.)

Which pins on the USB plug do I connect to the 3.5mm stereo jack plug

It cannot be done. the 3.5mm jack is analog, and USB
is digital. How did you manage to find a computer
that doesn't have USB?

AZ Nomad

Richard Crowley

The speakers only use USB for power. It'll be pins 1 and 4.

"USB Speakers" use USB for interfacing digital
audio from the computers to the speakers. I doubt
that there are any "USB Speakers" that use USB
for power as the voltage/current is so limited.

Of course, since "Jarro" didn't tell us what speakers
we are talking about, we are all shooting in the dark.

John Doe

Richard Crowley said:

"USB Speakers" use USB for interfacing digital
audio from the computers to the speakers. I doubt
that there are any "USB Speakers" that use USB
for power as the voltage/current is so limited.

Right, AZ Nomad is way off base. All of the other replies are
correct.
Of course, since "Jarro" didn't tell us what speakers
we are talking about, we are all shooting in the dark.

He probably would have to connect the analog speaker out to an audio
amplifier in the USB speaker circuit, assuming it's not all
integrated, and that isn't going to happen.

Have fun.

AZ Nomad

"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
"USB Speakers" use USB for interfacing digital
audio from the computers to the speakers. I doubt
that there are any "USB Speakers" that use USB
for power as the voltage/current is so limited.

You have no clue how cheap some computer speakers are.
If they have a line in then they most certainly do not use USB
for audio. That they can only pull 50ma doesn't matter when you're
dealing with a two dollar pair speakers.

AZ Nomad

Right, AZ Nomad is way off base. All of the other replies are
correct.

I'm correct. Get over yourself.

He probably would have to connect the analog speaker out to an audio
amplifier in the USB speaker circuit, assuming it's not all
integrated, and that isn't going to happen.

What he has is exactly as I've described. They have a usb cable
only for getting power.

John Doe

Ignorant troll

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.audio.tech
From: AZ Nomad <aznomad PmunOgeBOX.com>
Subject: Re: Attach USB speakers to 3.5mm "audio out" socket?
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:40:29 GMT

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley xpr7t.net> wrote:
Right, AZ Nomad is way off base. All of the other replies are
correct.

I'm correct. Get over yourself.

He probably would have to connect the analog speaker out to an audio
amplifier in the USB speaker circuit, assuming it's not all
integrated, and that isn't going to happen.

What he has is exactly as I've described. They have a usb cable
only for getting power.

Jeff Findley

Jarro said:
I use a small pair of USB speakers which are just the right size for me.

I would like to plug these speakers into the 3.5mm "audio output"
socket. (The speakers will probably sound quieter but that may not be a
problem for me.)

Which pins on the USB plug do I connect to the 3.5mm stereo jack plug

You don't. USB is digital and that jack is analog.

You either plug the speakers into a USB jack, or you have to upgrade to a
modern PC with USB ports, or you have to buy PC speakers with line level
inputs.

Jeff

Jeff Findley

AZ Nomad said:
I'm correct. Get over yourself.

What he has is exactly as I've described. They have a usb cable
only for getting power.

For all USB speakers I've seen, they *only* have a USB cable. Windows XP
has USB drivers for standard audio output devices like these. If you only
hook up the USB power, the speakers will still be silent since they won't be
receiving the expected (digital) audio via the USB connection.

Jeff

Jeff Findley

AZ Nomad said:
You have no clue how cheap some computer speakers are.
If they have a line in then they most certainly do not use USB
for audio. That they can only pull 50ma doesn't matter when you're
dealing with a two dollar pair speakers.

The original poster never said the speakers had a line level input. The
only connection mentioned on the speakers was USB.

Jeff

AZ Nomad

For all USB speakers I've seen, they *only* have a USB cable. Windows XP
has USB drivers for standard audio output devices like these. If you only
hook up the USB power, the speakers will still be silent since they won't be
receiving the expected (digital) audio via the USB connection.

I've seen both. All the ones with both a usb plug and a miniplug have
been $2 specials where the USB is only used for power.

Noozer

AZ Nomad said:
I'm correct. Get over yourself.

Uhm... no.

What do you expect when you connect the audio cable from a speaker to pins 1
and 4? You definately won't hear Windows making any noises.

There is NO way to connect the audio jack of a speaker(s) to a USB port
without having some kind of decoder in the circuit first.

Matt Ion

Richard said:

"USB Speakers" use USB for interfacing digital
audio from the computers to the speakers. I doubt
that there are any "USB Speakers" that use USB
for power as the voltage/current is so limited.

Ha! They do exist - someone gave me a set once that they didn't want anymore,
because the ultra-low power available meant ultra-low output; they had a USB
cable AND a regular 1/8" TRS audio plug. Cheap crap!