Asus P5K Premium or Asus P5Q Pro?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
What I have is an Intel Q9450 CPU and 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 along with a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler and I'd like to have some input as to which motherboard to go with.

I've been looking at the Asus P5K Premium as well as the P5Q Pro which right now would cost me about the same price.

I like the stack cool manufacturing process the P5K Premium uses but don't know if it's beneficial enough to sway me.

The P5Q Pro sports a newer chipset but both will handle the memory I have so I'm a bit unsure which one would be the wiser buy?

What say ye?

ETA: Might add that I also considered a DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB but I favor the way Asus cools the NB and SB via heatpipe and though I'm not overly familiar with DFI it seems that their cooling is lacking in that area.

Last edited:

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
lol same as I was thinking the answer from me is NEITHER

get the Asus P5Q E board.

Thanks psd99 for some reason I completely missed that one and it fits the ticket perfectly for what I'm looking for plus it's only ten dollars more than the ones I was looking at.

It's in stock too. :)

Reaction score
no worries I am actually looking to get this exact board too.
It looks to be a great motherboard and I see no point in going pro or deluxe.

What else you going to get with it?

I'm going 4gb memory with a possible quad core.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
So far my rig consists of:

Coolermaster Centurion 534 Case
Q9450 Quad CPU
Asus P5Q-E Motherboard
OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 4GB
Asus GeForce 9600GT Silent 650Mhz 512MB PCI-E Graphics Card
LG Lightscribe DVD/RW
Zalman ZM600-HP 600W Power Supply 120mm Fan
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 6 Heatpipe Cooler
300GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive
Operating System = PCLOS MiniMe 2008

Don't think I'm even going to bother with a floppy drive as I never use them.

That should get me going I hope.

Reaction score
That sounds good how much is that going to cost you? In Canadian dollars?

I like the sound of that graphics card I'm looking to order these parts this week.

What is your current setup?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
That sounds good how much is that going to cost you? In Canadian dollars?

I like the sound of that graphics card I'm looking to order these parts this week.

What is your current setup?

In Canadian dollars rounded off about a thousand.

I have a number of computers but my main one currently is also a Coolermaster Centurion 534 (I really like that case), AMD FX-60 Dual Core CPU (OC'd to 2.86 Mhz), Asus A8N32 SLI Motherboard, 2GB OCZ Platinum PC-3200, 550 Watt Tagan Easy Con Power Supply, LG DVD/RW, Mitsubishi Floppy/Card Reader, 300 GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive, Cooler Master GeminII Monster Heatpipe Cooler that employs 2 120mm fans, Asus EN7300GT Silent Video Card, XP Pro Operating System.

My play system right beside it is same case, AMD 4400 Dual Core CPU, DFI Infinity NF4 Ultra Motherboard, 2GB GSkill PC-3200 RAM, Enermax PSU, Thermalright XP-120 Heatpipe Cooler, 160 GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive, Fujitsu Floppy, LG DVD/RW, PCLOS Operating System in process of changing to PCLOS MiniMe 2008.

Also have an AMD 3800 Dual Core in Asus A8N Motherboard with 2GB Corsair PC3200 for wife and an AMD Turion Dual Core Laptop for mobility.

That's all I have at home but I've farmed a number of boxes out to my kids that I'm vague on as to hardware at this point. :)

ETA: I really favor those Asus Silent model graphics cards as they suit my needs well and reduce the number of rotating parts in my box not to mention the chance of fan failure and I try to build them as quiet as possible which automatically draws me toward 120mm fans.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds good Spezi
I would say my new rig will cost around £500 British pounds at that. I hope to buy the Coolermaster Cosmos case.

My current setup is

AMD XP 3200+
2 GB PC 3200 DDR1
Few HDD's
Tagan 420W PSU
Thermaltake Silenced CPU Fan
Gigabytye 7N400 Pro 2 motherboard
Nvidia Gefore 6800 - 256 MB Ram.

3 of these parts all came from Flopps on these boards at a bargain price. :)

I agree about those Asus boards. My plan was either Asus or Gigabyte but I am swinging towards Asus because of their more competitive prices.

So whereabouts in BC are you from? I went there twice I loved it out there especially Vancouver Island, Victoria.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Did you get your board then?

Yes I did and I got neither. :)

After a fair bit of reading and what not I purchased a DFI LP DK P45-T2RS Plus.

It has done some pretty impressive things in the overclocking world and since it will have to last me a while I opted for that ability in case I want to explore it.

I don't have all the parts yet but they are on the way with final configuration being.........

Coolermaster Centurion 534 Case
Zalman ZM-600HP Power Supply
DFI LP DK P45-T2RS Plus Motherboard
Q9450 Quad CPU
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 6 Cooler
OCZ PC2-9200 2X1GB DDR2 EPP
Diamond Radeon HD 3870 825Mhz 1GB 1.8Ghz GDDR3 Video Card
Accelero S1 VGA Cooler
2X Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2 Hard Drives
LG Lightscribe DVD/RW
Logitech G7 Wireless Mouse
Dynex Keyboard
Altec Lansing Surround Sound Speaker System
Acer 19" Monitor
HP Photosmart D5160 InkJet Printer
HP C1215 LaserJet Printer
Belkin Flip to switch Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and sound between main box and play machine.
PCLinuxOS MiniMe 2008

That about covers it if memory serves correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wow that sounds good

I have had to stall for a bit I got the Cosmos case but then I wondered about a DDR3 board and that is what I got my mind set on now.

I am looking at a few boards one of them is the Asus P5QE3 but the problem I got is I am going to drop down to 2GB because of the price. I wish to future proof myself with the DDR3 and X38 chipset in mind.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
wow that sounds good

I have had to stall for a bit I got the Cosmos case but then I wondered about a DDR3 board and that is what I got my mind set on now.

I am looking at a few boards one of them is the Asus P5QE3 but the problem I got is I am going to drop down to 2GB because of the price. I wish to future proof myself with the DDR3 and X38 chipset in mind.

I put in quite a bit of reading time in the last couple of weeks wondering the same things and it simply came across to me as many (that I feel are better qualified to judge) are of the mind that DDR3 is too expensive for what you get.

I also get the distinct impression that they are expecting hardware to take a fairly different direction and are holding off until next generation architecture (Nehalem) becomes mainstream.

Made sense to me and pricing of DDR2 is definitely more attractive so that's why I went with it.

I did decide to go with 2GB memory for now to get things going and see what kind of performance I generate then if I need more I can always get another set of the same.

My board will run 1200mhz memory but I could only find two manufacturers that made it in 4GB sets for a premium price so I went with the PC2-9200 instead as I can get another set to make 4GB and still spend less than half of what the 1200mhz memory goes for. Not to mention that I read reviews and the performance difference between the 1200mhz rated Patriot and the 1150mhz OCZ that I purchased is negligible given that they felt the Patriot was already factory overclocked with little if no room to go further whereas the OCZ still has a little left to give.

Reaction score
Spezi said:
Well you've got to go with whatever floats your boat. :)

I was even considering this board which will run DDR2 or DDR3 .......
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32712&vpn=GA-EP45C-DS3R&manufacture=Gigabyte

Yes Spezi that board I was looking at very closely recently but I thought those DDR2 slots would be useless in the far future. If it had 4 slots each I would have taken it but because it is 3 slots each another reason to rule it out.

So you built it all yet?

For me it is P5E3 vs P5E3 Deluxe I am trying to get on to the overclockers site form (the one I showed you link to) but it is a swine to join up. I wish to post that question to 'em. :)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
So you built it all yet?

No I'm awaiting my parts from a number of places and sources so likely won't have it all for a week or so yet.

Should have it running by end of month I would assume.

Reaction score
sounds good
I bet you cannot wait!!!

Why are you going with Linux then?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
sounds good
I bet you cannot wait!!!

Why are you going with Linux then?

Several reasons for choosing Linux.

I want to force myself to get more familiar with it as I really like the open source concept and have gotten more and more disenchanted with Microsoft.

To some extent after I played with PCLOS for a bit it seemed to me it was actually ahead of Windows anyway with the 3D desktop and such.

A big motivating factor is also that Linux will make use of the Quad Core CPU whereas I believe if I stayed with Windows I would have to purchase a 64Bit operating system.

I can't justify spending good money on another Windows operating system when really the main thing that box is for is learning and crunching which I can do quite well using Linux.

I feel the need to get familiar with Open Office and other Linux equivalents to common Microsoft offerings.

Eventually I want to migrate all my machines to Linux except for maybe one just so I don't completely forget how to use Windows. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi Spezi, I can heartily recomend the Mandriva 2008 64 Bit O/S. If you have not already done so have a look at my thread on it as there is a section devoted to installing Boinc that may be of interest to you as the method used can be easily adapted to other linux distros.

Penguins will rule the world. Thats if we can stop global warming.

laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question