assigning a letter to a usb drive vs. a network folder ?


P

proteanthread

is it possible to prevent windows from mapping or assigning a usb
drive to a letter that is already used by a network folder ? is it
possible to force windows from using certain drive letters when
installing a usb drive or other mappable drive (such as one that is
already assigned to a network folder or drive) ?
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Pegasus [MVP]

proteanthread said:
is it possible to prevent windows from mapping or assigning a usb
drive to a letter that is already used by a network folder ? is it
possible to force windows from using certain drive letters when
installing a usb drive or other mappable drive (such as one that is
already assigned to a network folder or drive) ?

This is a long-standing issue and the general answer is to map drive letters
from Y: down so that there is no conflict with USB letters going up from D:
or E:.
 
J

John Wunderlich

is it possible to prevent windows from mapping or assigning a usb
drive to a letter that is already used by a network folder ? is it
possible to force windows from using certain drive letters when
installing a usb drive or other mappable drive (such as one that is
already assigned to a network folder or drive) ?

Yes.
After inserting your USB Drive, use DiskManager to change the drive
letter for that drive to something compatible with your configuration.

Start->Run->"diskmgmt.msc"

Then right-click on USB drive and select "Change Drive Letter..."

HTH,
John
 
L

LVTravel

John Wunderlich said:
Yes.
After inserting your USB Drive, use DiskManager to change the drive
letter for that drive to something compatible with your configuration.

Start->Run->"diskmgmt.msc"

Then right-click on USB drive and select "Change Drive Letter..."

HTH,
John

John, you are correct that this is the way to change a drive letter but it
doesn't help the OP in that this would have to be accomplished for any new
USB device plugged in each time and even for the same device when plugged
into another port on the same computer.

The best fix is to map network drives high in the alphabet and let the USB
drives choose letters in the lower alphabet. I always map my network drives
starting at Z or Y (depending on my rebuild/restore partition's drive
letter) and work backward.
 
J

John Wunderlich

John, you are correct that this is the way to change a drive
letter but it doesn't help the OP in that this would have to be
accomplished for any new USB device plugged in each time and even
for the same device when plugged into another port on the same
computer.

The best fix is to map network drives high in the alphabet and let
the USB drives choose letters in the lower alphabet. I always map
my network drives starting at Z or Y (depending on my
rebuild/restore partition's drive letter) and work backward.

Yes, that's the best way to make sure it doesn't happen.

I guess I should have asked whether SP3 is installed because
according to:
"List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480>

XP3 includes a fix for the following:

"New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/>
(which includes a Hotfix for SP2 systems and includes your solution
as a work-around)

.... although I've heard that under some scenarios the fix doesn't
work.

-- John
 
L

LVTravel

John Wunderlich said:
Yes, that's the best way to make sure it doesn't happen.

I guess I should have asked whether SP3 is installed because
according to:
"List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480>

XP3 includes a fix for the following:

"New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/>
(which includes a Hotfix for SP2 systems and includes your solution
as a work-around)

... although I've heard that under some scenarios the fix doesn't
work.

-- John

My XP SP3 laptop has all the current "fixes" and it still won't always
"remember" the location of a USB drive when plugged in, especially when the
USB device is plugged into a slot with another device already plugged in,
whether or not the other device is taking the first device's drive letter.
In other words device 1 is usually assigned letter G:. Plug in device 2 and
it uses letter E: then plug in device 1 it may get letter D:, F, G:, or even
higher (my DVD drive is always assigned letter R: when I first set up the
computer.) Haven't seen any posts on that and it really doesn't bother me
as I know how to adjust.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

smlunatick

My XP SP3 laptop has all the current "fixes" and it still won't always
"remember" the location of a USB drive when plugged in, especially when the
USB device is plugged into a slot with another device already plugged in,
whether or not the other device is taking the first device's drive letter..
In other words device 1 is usually assigned letter G:.  Plug in device 2 and
it uses letter E: then plug in device 1 it may get letter D:, F, G:, or even
higher (my DVD drive is always assigned letter R: when I first set up the
computer.)  Haven't seen any posts on that and it really doesn't botherme
as I know how to adjust.

Consider looking at USBDLM.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top