Are you ready Flops

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Dear Tony...
now is nearly the day of reckoning..did you establish your modern playlist of music for your girls party or do you still need help...the clock is ticking until tomoz :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hope you and your twins have fun tomorrow, as I'm sure you will :D

Lots of people going?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think he's probably got it covered...if he ain't by now then he be in trouble methinks...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Haha, thanx guys :D

Believe it or not, I was still compiling CD's up until two hours ago. Last one I labelled 'Last minute panic mix'

I reckon I'll do ok.

I done it long enough after all, though there has been a a five year gap.

Oddly enough, it's me frickin' age that bothers me, used to be no bother but I have to get up fairly early, load gear, drive 180 miles, set up, do a four hour gig then carry on to a nightclub til 3am

Yegodds, I am too old for this, lol

No I ain't :D

There's 4 of us going, youngest 23, oldest 64, so should be fun.

Looking forward to it, I'll let you know how it goes, should get some pix too.

About 150 people attending Glastonbury Rugby Club Hall.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck then flopp's..and drive safely...Hope everything goes according to plan...and yes pics would be good....Oh and one last thing Enjoy....;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This sounds like one serious party :D Have fun!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It went very well :)

New loudspeakers sounded great, they all danced, I got clapped/cheered at the end, peeps asked for my card so I guess I done ok.

I must admit to being a little nervous and as most of my music is on CD's with titles just as lists of black and white text, it was a little awkward working just with home made compilation CD's. It was so much easier working with vinyl. But that vinyl stuff was a bit heavy.

They got the new dance stuf, old dance stuff, the cheesy stuff and a dash of indie/rock - Killers, White Stripes, Kaiser chiefs, that kinda thing. Out Of Space by the Prodigy went down very well :)

So, no need for nerves, it went ok and I soon felt at home again.

But it was an early start, loaded van, drove 180 miles, set stuff up, done the booking, by the time I got to the night club afterwards (which was quite awful, btw) I wuz knackered so I only had one drink and went back to our digs over the pub.

These are the loudspeakers I used, but mine have grills covering the whole of the front area. Very loud, no distortion, plenty of detail, plenty of bass. Very pleased, they're fine for small venues. £1100.00 a pair 400 watt amp in each.

Here's a pic of first thing in the morning (well, about 8am) looking out of my bedroom window at the old Glastonbury Abbey ruins:

001.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A few random pix.

I didn't take many, tbh.

My twin daughters thought long and hard about a theme for the party, they considered fancy dress, the usual tarts and vicars, but then came up with, what I thought was a good idea.

A black and white night.

Just wear something black & white, white or black. Or expand upon the theme yourself. Really easy to do, I just wore a white linen shirt, black chinos and black Dr Martens. They got black & white balloons as well.

Here's a few pix, usual party type pix, you must have seen them a million times before. I'll tell ya what, I thought some of them Woolwich girls was bit on the large side. Some o dem Glastonbury/Somerset gals make 'em look positively anorexic ;)

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Now, it really is about time you buggers posted some pix of something ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like it was great fun :D Ah, I remember my 18th (well, not past 12 anyway).

So, are you going to make this a regular thing again now that you have some kit? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
So, are you going to make this a regular thing again now that you have some kit? :D

Ah, yep, that's the idea. I gave up 5 years ago, figured I was too old. Maybe I ain't.

I can certainly do themed nights, I'd be good at 60's, 70's, 90's, Irish, Rock, Ska and gawd knows what. I do know me music.

I was actually surprised when I posted here asking for suggestions for the last five years of music. All that was suggested, I knew.

But, I was still grateful for advice. Just a shame I knew it all already, lol ;)

Was speaking to a very good contact at the pub last night, she gave me a few bookings just before I quit, now she knows I'm active again, she's said she's sure she can get me quite a few bookings, weddings, birthdays, usual and Corporate events. Corporate events pay money.

I earned £400.00 for 8 to 12 at the Jockey Club by Marble Arch in 1999. Must be worth more now eh? :D

So yes, we'll see how it goes.

My first ever gig, incidentally, was at the Country Club in Hampstead in 1971, 9pm - 1am, open to the public. We charged a fiver :eek: The promoter was named Eugene Finn. I have never forgotten that name, cos he knocked us. First booking, screwed over, lol. It hasn't happened since.

One other snippet, either 1972 or 1973, an Agency booked me to fill in for John Peel at East Sheen for three weeks. I done good, but didn't manage to oust him, lol ;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
:D Wish you'd been 'round at my 18th :D
Looks like a blo*dy good party :nod:
Don't suppose those speakers can carry across the pacific? ;)

Ask a Question