ArcServe

M$

I was evaluating CA's BrightStor Arcserve 11 and now all the servers that I
installed the options to back them up have 2 services, CA License Client &
CA License Server, that I cannot get rid of; eventhough I
removed/uninstalled all the clients.

Does any one know how to get rid of these parricides, I mean services?

CA should rename it to "Not so BrightStor..."

Michael Bednarek

I was evaluating CA's BrightStor Arcserve 11 and now all the servers that I
installed the options to back them up have 2 services, CA License Client &
CA License Server, that I cannot get rid of; eventhough I
removed/uninstalled all the clients.

Does any one know how to get rid of these parricides, I mean services?

I don't know anything about ARCserve, but I would try to remove these
services the usual way: in SERVICES.MSC, stop them, disable them.

If you want to go further, search the registry for them in
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
and delete their keys after taking note of the value ImagePath. Delete
the images too. If they reside in dedicated directories, search the
registry again for occurrences of those; delete them, delete the
directories.

After a reboot, those services should no longer be listed. There must a
way of deregistering those services without a reboot. I haven't tried
that yet, but REGSRV32 /u might do it.

Oh ... and making a backup of the registry and/or setting a Restore
Point might be prudent.

M$

I'm not sure I want to hack the registry. Usually mainstream apps remove all
the services when they are uninstalled - maybe ArcServe 11 is not as
main-steam as I thought. Rather Mickey Mouse!

Juergen Heckel

M$ said:
I'm not sure I want to hack the registry. Usually mainstream apps remove all
the services when they are uninstalled - maybe ArcServe 11 is not as
main-steam as I thought. Rather Mickey Mouse!

Hi,
did you stop the service "logwatch" (Event Log Watch)? This is IMHO the
main licence controling service of Arcserve/Brightstore.

M$

There does NOT appear to be such a service, logwatch!

The 2 services I'm talking about are called "AC License Client" and "AC
License Server". The ArcServe is v11.1. This is the first time I have come
across an app. that does not remove its services when it is uninstalled.
Maybe ArcServe 11.1 virus would be a more appropriate name for it.

M$

Ok, I found the logwatch service, after I put my glasses on! I then was able
to delete the CA folder that contained the remaining bits of AS. But, I'm
still left with the 2 services eventhough they are no longer fictional.

M$

Ok, I finally got an aswer from CA support about removing ArcServe services.
Now, if this does not qualify for being the most Mickey Mouse outfit, then I
don't know what does. I don't know about you, but I will never buy a CA
product!

Here is the complete paste of the email I got from CA.

-------------------------------Start-------------------------------------------------------
Uninstall BAB 9.0 and all related CA programs from the Add/Remove programs
Check for the following registry entries and delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/ComputerAssociates/Brightstor ARCserve Backup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASDBEngine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASDiscoverySvc
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASJobEngine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASMsgEngine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASTapeEngine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CA_LIC_CLNT
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CA_LIC_SRVR
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASUNIVDOMAINSVR
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CASUniversal Agent
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CATIRPC
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/DBARPCSERVICE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/OFADRIVER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/OPENFILEAGENT

Go to the Winnt\System32 directory, disable the Read Only attribute of the
following files: CHEYPROD.DLL, CSTOOL.DLL, ASBRDCST.DLL,

CHEYSAQ.EXE AND ASDSCSVC.EXE and then delete them.

Then the main files that needs to be removed from the registry -

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e72925c0-b105-11cf-906f-0080d8001326}

Delete the whole hive mentioned as {e72925c0-b105-11cf-906f-0080d8001326}

This will by default remove the one mentioned below as well.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e72925c0-b105-11cf-906f-0080d8001326}\InProcServer32
- ARCserveAshell.dll

Delete the following key -

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\31F68C1FE1ABB5247AF4B4D9110925F6
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\996ABBC66B18E3B45B0664C09F4095D1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\C4C5DE61953028246BFC680049DBDE81

- Installer

Delete all CA Related product keys from the

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\31F68C1FE1ABB5247AF4B4D9110925F6 =>
Exchange agent
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\3EC7D384130988248BF928C92F03BB27 =>
Tape engine
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\3EE01C033BFEA7B4C9CDO597C0B22500 =>
Calicensing
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\5CD5D6BFA0D6A624CBDB467C2C504CEC =>
Itechnology igateway
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\65001C4A01AA1D341A9CE423A5018C43 =>BAB
Itechnology
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\6928537BB0FFD344988B499A7AOAE3DF = >
BAOF HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\980ABC5C29E15D117AAB000B0DF3B64F
=> BAB diagnostic Utility
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\996ABBC66B18E3B45B0664C09F4095D1 => BAB
9.0 HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\products\C4C5DE61953028246BFC680049DBDE81 =>
Client agent

- products to know the product that is installed. You need to go the
products folder-check for ca related products and delete them.

Delete the following keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment ---- CATPATH,
CONNPATH .

Delete the whole Computer Associates key from the below mentioned path -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ComputerAssociates\Brightstor ARCSERVE backup

You need to go the products folder-check for ca related products and delete
them.

Delete the Local AppWizard-Generated Applications from the path mentioned
below -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\ARCserve
Central Database Configuration HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local
AppWizard-Generated Applications \Brightstor ARCserve Backup Central
Database Configuration

Delete all CA related product keys from the path mentioned -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder
\Start Menu\&Programs\Computer associates

Then, search for OFANT.SYS and delete that file.

RE-BOOT THE SERVER .

SAM

Computer Associates
Technical Support Representative - NT Storage
"The Software that Manages E-Business"
Phone : 866-422-2774

** Responding to this email does not elicit a response from the technician.
To address this issue, please write to (e-mail address removed) <mailto:p[email protected]>
referencing your incident number on the subject line**

-------------------------------End--------------------------------------------------------"M$" <[email protected]> wrote in messagewas evaluating CA's BrightStor Arcserve 11 and now all the servers that Iinstalled the options to back them up have 2 services, CA License Client &CA License Server, that I cannot get rid of; eventhough Iremoved/uninstalled all the clients.>> Does any one know how to get rid of these parricides, I mean services?>> CA should rename it to "Not so BrightStor...">