Apps and other windows utilities open with notepad

G

First of all I'd like to thank Michael Burk for your help. I did a XP repair install but it didn't change anything! Here is the scenario: I have 2 user accounts; Regular User is the one I use all the time and Administrator. When in Regular User account, I have a few programs that open as Windows starts. All of these programs opens up in notepad with a bunch of numbers and funny characters. In addition, any other program I tried to open, including ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS from Control Panel, also open in notepad, however if I right click and select the RUN AS command and use the Administrator account, the programs open up normally. I've looked all over the net and cannot find a solution to this problem. I Do not wish do wipe my drive and start fresh at this time, so if anyone knows a way around to fix this problem, please let me know, I'll appreciate. Thanks again, Elvis Lee

A

Alex Nichol

masterlee said:
All of these programs opens up in notepad with a bunch of numbers and funny characters. In addition, any other program I tried to open, including ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS from Control Panel, also open in notepad, however if I right click and select the RUN AS command and use the Administrator account, the programs open up normally.

Something has damaged the file association for .exe (and maybe by the
sound of it for .cpl too). Go to
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html
and towards the bottom of the left column get 'File Association fixes'.
Run it - and follow up with a thorough virus scan with up to date
(meaning today's) definitions

Ask a Question