Applying your personal settings takes more than 10 minutes

G

I am trying to figure out what is going on with one of the systems I am responsible for. It is one of 7 systems on my network that runs XP (the rest, including the server are win2K) and for some reason, when logging on, the system will hang on the "Applying your personal settings" screen for 10 to 30 minutes. Once logged on, it takes a further 3 to 15 minutes to catch up, and then, all of a sudden, will start working normally. I have all the critical updates completed, as of 06/07/04, I have updated Office XP, and done nearly all of the windows updates. This system is located ina different office, so I have to work on it at night, remotely, but even when the regular user logs on, he has the same issues. I have removed nearly all the software installed on it, in the hopes of identifying the culprit, to no avail... the system is currently running the following:
Symantec Antivirus Corporate 8.00.9374
Cisco VPN Client 3.5.1 (E) -> Not running normally, only when on the road
Office XP Small Business -> latest patches as of today
Win XP Pro -> all criticals, most windows patches (Not media player or .NET), all drivers
TSLink (a dos based terminal services program for connecting to a bank... no preloaded drivers, dlls etc)
Lavasoft Ad-Aware (again latest version)

I have uninstalled everything else on the system, and it still has this load issue... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.

P.S. for a little more info, he connects to our network via a Cisco VPN tunnel, over a T1, from a local PIX 501 to our PIX 501, but none of the other systems at his location have this problem, so I suspect this is irrelevant... just thought I'd throw it in. Also, the system in question is a Dell Latitude C600 P4 2.0 with 512 MB of RAM

G

The issue was actually a DNS problem. The router at this location had it's two ISP DNS's selected first, and our internal DNS server 3rd, so when the system would try to map the network drives, it was taking for ever to find the appropriate servers. Swapping the order on the DNS entries solved the problem, it now logs on in about 15 seconds.

Ask a Question