Applications last used list

kakii

It's about win xp pro sp2

How can I remove DURABLE from the list of applications last used (start
button) such entries like
any Microsoft Office component
Adobe Reader ?
That manner they don't appear there any more after removal.

Jim Robin

Right click on the listed item and then choose "remove from this list"

Jim

PS Did you by any chance use translation software to make this post?

kakii

Unknown said:
Right click and remove from list

Thanks,
However, my intention is to remove them DURABLE !
That means, they don't appear any more after removal.

Jim Robin

Isn't this fun? Not just sorting out XP problems but interpreting pidgin
English too!

For "Durable" I think I read "permanently"

Let's assume that you have been to Control Panel / Add Remove Programs and
UNINSTALLED the unwanted software... If it STILL shows up on the start list
(which is very unlikely) previos posts show how to remove it.

Jim

pcbutts1

Right click the start button>properties>select "start menu" click customize,
change the "Number of programs on the start menu" to 0, click ok.

Nepatsfan

kakii said:
It's about win xp pro sp2

How can I remove DURABLE from the list of applications last used (start
button) such entries like
any Microsoft Office component
Adobe Reader ?
That manner they don't appear there any more after removal.

Download and install TweakUI from Microsoft. TweakUI is available here.

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Direct Download of TweakUI
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Once the program is installed, go to Start -> All Programs ->Powertoys for
Windows XP -> TweakUI to launch the program.
In the left hand pane of TweakUI, click on the + sign next to Taskbar and Start
Menu.
In the expanded list, click on Start Menu.
In the box under Frequently Used Programs, uncheck the applications you do not
want displayed in the left hand portion of your Start menu.
Click OK.

Keep in mind that you'll need to log off and back on before the changes take
place.

If you'd rather not install TweakUI, take a look at the "Personalize the Start
Menu" section of this article for information on how to edit the registry to
accomplish the same results. As always, you should create a Restore Point before
editing the registry.

Tweaking the Windows XP Desktop
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_03may05.mspx

It involves locating the application you want to exclude under this registry
key,

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications

Click on the application name in the left hand pane.
Next, right click in the right hand pane and select New -> String Value.
Enter NoStartPage as the name of this new value.
Once again, you'll have to log off and back on before seeing the changes.

Note: As you look through the list of programs listed under the Applications key
you'll notice that they're listed by their executable file name. For example,
the subkey that corresponds to Microsoft Word is named Winword.exe. The subkey
for Outlook Express is named msimn.exe. For this reason alone, I think you'll
find that using TweakUI is the best way to achieve your goal. Plus, editing the
registry should be avoided when there's an alternative.

FYI, I believe you can restrict the excluded applications to the current user
only by following the instructions contained in the XP Start Menu section of
this article.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Registry Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232a.aspx

Good luck

Nepatsfan

kakii

pcbutts1 said:
Right click the start button>properties>select "start menu" click customize,
change the "Number of programs on the start menu" to 0, click ok.

OK, how can I remove those items they never appear any more ?
Associated software shall stay installed. I use it indeed.
On the last-used-apps list I wish to have the most important app icons
only. It should be my decision if particular app is important or not.
Setting "Number of programs on the start menu" to 0 is no solution.
Cause I'm using this list indeed.
Unimportant app icons just shouldn't waste this list.
"remove from this list" is no solution cause the icons appear once again
on the list on next app launch.